Granadillo Wood?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Granadillo Wood?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I was looking at the Cooperman Fife and drum Website Today. I see they are making Fifes made out of Granadillo Wood, not to be confused with Grenadilla Wood. Is anyone familiar with this Wood? Has it been used to make Irish Flutes?

https://coopermandrumshop.com/products/granadillo-fifes
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Granadillo Wood?

Post by Nanohedron »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:55 pm I see they are making Fifes made out of Granadillo Wood, not to be confused with Grenadilla Wood.
"Granadillo" is a term used for a number of woods including African Blackwood, also known as Grenadilla. Looking at the fifes, I suspect the wood used is what is more commonly known as Macacauba or Hormigo (Platymiscium spp.). The link also cites the name Granadillo, which it calls "ambiguous".

Platymiscium, like blackwood, is of the Dalbergieae tribe, which means it is possible that it may have many characteristics similar to blackwood and rosewood. Unfortunately I find no direct info on how resinous it is, but the link does mention good rot and insect resistance, which is probably a clue. One person in the comments section suggests it's "oily", which sounds like a flutewood candidate to me.

Beyond that I know nothing; this is the first I've heard of it. Good-looking wood, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I've used quite a bit of the granadillo (Platymiscium as opposed to blackwood). Very nice flute wood. I have a bunch right now sized for making quena, but I've made all types of flutes from it. Good stuff. Dense and moderately oily, works well, finishes well.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Hi:
"Granadillo" is the Spanish word for "Dalbergia melanoxylon"
Regards,
S.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

smoro wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:46 am Hi:
"Granadillo" is the Spanish word for "Dalbergia melanoxylon"
Regards,
S.
Very likely, but it has been co-opted along the way to describe other types of rosewood-like flutes. Sometimes with an "a" at the end, sometimes with an "o".
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Yes, I agree.
S.