I have a early Randell Carte boehm system flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dave.freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a colector of fine old flutes. I am a professional player. I live in Pittsburgh PA. I have been colectingFlutes for over 10 years I restore them to playable condestion. And play them off and on.

I have a early Randell Carte boehm system flute

Post by dave.freeman »

The Flute only has a head joint and body no foot joint at all. I am looking for someone that might know if randell designed a boehm flute like this.
All the design featchers are Randell's. Key design and other Nickel Silver designs on this flute are Randell Carte'sl. I will post pictures of this flute in a few days.
Any help on this would be great. It has been dated between 1847- 1857. It has a marker Tom Marrall Brimingham, on the head joint and body.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: I have a early Randell Carte boehm system flute

Post by kkrell »

If you're referring to Rudall Carte, yes, some of their cylindrical bore Boehm-style flutes were only 2 piece, with the low D#/Eb & C & C# keys mounted on the long keyed section (rather than as usual on a separate foot joint).

Problem is, the Rudall companies made flutes with many different key systems/mechanisms (open G#, 1851 system, Radcliff, etc.). Some, also depending on sounding length, are playable at modern A=440 pitch, some are not, and that can also affect value & desirability.

If you post pictures to the Facebook Flute History Group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flute.History.Channel/ ) you would get a clear identification.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org