New player troubles...head and barrel cracks

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

So as a "gift" for playing a recent gig with a local bacd here in town, I was given a blackwood keyless flute. I think I was given it primarily because it has a crack in the headpiece that runs the entire length, and wouldn't ya know it, goes right through the embrouchre (SP?) hole. The barrel is also cracked end to end.

So did I just get a nice looking piece of firewood, or should I look into repair? The guy I got it from said he got it from one of the online folk music stores, though he couldn't remember which. He thinks he paid about 300-400 for it.

Anyway, if I try, I can get some single tones which sound great to my ear at least, but it's almost impossible to get consistant tones in a tune for example. now I KNOW that a large part of this is my inexperience with flute playing, but I'm sure a cracked headjoibt can't improve the tonal and playability qualities of this thing.

Advice? Thanks you guys! :smile:

Bri~

P.S. I've had two different players (GOOD ones mind you) tell me two different things. One said it was a pile of crud, the other said that even cracked and for being a 'cheaper' instrument, that it played really well. As I said, I can get tones, and short runs, but nothing close to a full song. I've also only been playing it for about a month and a half...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-10-03 23:05 ]</font>
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Brian, I succumbed to an inexpensive blackwood flute. I think 'crud' was the operative word. David Migoya of Fyfer Restorations (I think he's in your neck of the woods, as a matter of fact) broke the news to me gently, but the fact is, it may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Live and learn. . .at least it was a gift to you, not bought. It was a lesson to me in not impulse buying, especially on vacation!

Hey, when are you coming back to CT?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Yeah, David's about 8 hours away from me here in SLC. I'm just not too sure if I should even bother with paying to have it fixed, or if it's simply not worth it.

As I said, when I play slowly, I can get some awesome tone from it, but I really have to work at it. I'd be inclined to think this was a problem with my skill level as opposed to all being the flute though, as I am still a very rank beginner.

As for CT. It's not gonna be for at least a few more months again. Probably summer or fall next year if I can manage it. I have to wait for tax returns, and vacation time again! :smile: I will be looking you up when I make it out though!

B~
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So out of curiosity...

Does anyone offer a service of making a brand new headjoint for your flute if the rest of the body's in good shape?

If so, any approximate cost???

Thanks!

Bri~
Spot Beagle

Post by Spot Beagle »

maybe you can fill the cracks with wax, it might work for a little while.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The cracks have been filled with super-glue I believe. The problem seems to be the fact that the split on the head joint has messed up the embrochure hole.

Anyway, thanks again.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Most of the makers will make a headjoint to fit near any flute, but they'll likely make the head and barrel, not just one or the other unless it's their own flute they're fixing. Reason is the slide must be precise and it's easier to make a set than a piece of one.
Price I'm sure varies accordingly. I had a headpiece made by Patrick Olwell for my Rudall and that was about $700. I have another Rudall that just came in for sale with a headpiece made by Chris Wilkes in London, which I presume ran about that price or a bit more. Best way to find out is to contact them separately and find out not just the price, but the waiting time.
hope this helps
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It sounds like this is a proposition not worth undertaking whereas the flute was less than $300 new I think.

Thanks anyway!

B~
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Good thing Chris Norman didn't think that. he obtained a boxwood flute at a flea market for about $75. turned out to be a Rudall.
that aside, it depends on how much you like the flute and how well it's put together. i've played several anonymous flutes that were really quite good. just worth consideration, that's all. don't give up on it just because it doesn't have a label.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So David...would you recommend I send it out to you, and perhaps you could have a look? Otherwise, I'm tempted to put it on a shelf for good. I've played several other makes...all of which have been "cheapies" and they've all been MUCH easier to play, and much cleaner in tone.

I really guess I got a lemon...

Bri~
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Ah, but you got a FREE lemon!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Let me finish the crack on Caryn's flute and let her be the arbiter of whether you should fix yours or not. Sounds like your flute has the same crack as hers.