Fife headjoint for a Burke whistle?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
EzMan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Fife headjoint for a Burke whistle?

Post by EzMan »

Hey all just wondering if anyone might know of a way to get a rim-blown headjoint for a Burke whistle?
I have a session bore D in brass and have wanted a rim-blown head joint for sometime. I reached
out to Burke years ago but never got a response.
Any help would be great!
EZ
EzMan
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.

Re: Fife headjoint for a Burke whistle?

Post by EzMan »

Anyone?
Any ideas of someone who would be up to the job?
Suppose I could give it a go.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

You say rim blown, but fife is cross blown like a flute, if that is what you mean, Tony Dixon makes some flute heads for various sizes of (whistle) tubes, maybe one would fit - or maybe mutilate one of his one piece piccolos.

(I have two different sizes, one for his 'C' & one for his 'A' tunable aluminium whistles, & they work well.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
EzMan

Post by EzMan »

Yes forgive the confusion in terms. I need a side blown head joint.
I am considering just finding a local machinist to make the head joint tube for me and perhaps a lip plate and I will cut the embouchure.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I find that I don't need a lip plate, so you could save yourself some bother by omitting that feature. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
EzMan

Post by EzMan »

I was just thinking something to thicken the wall at the embouchure.
Like maybe just another section of tubing or some such thing.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I just don't understand this bizarre desire to have interchangeable parts between completely different instruments. If you want a quality fife, get a quality fife.

Imagine going into a music store and saying, "yes, I'd like something that takes elements of one instrument and elements of another, and combines them into something not quite as good as either."
EzMan

Post by EzMan »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I just don't understand this bizarre desire to have interchangeable parts between completely different instruments. If you want a quality fife, get a quality fife.
Well I guess if I was trying to put a wammy bar or a cymbal on my whistle you might be on to something. Seeing as how I am just looking to change my cylindrical high D flute from fipple blown to a side blown flute... My Burke is a $240 instrument, IDK if you have another $2-300 for me do get a nice professional tunable fife but I don't have that to invest in a whole nother instrument.
Guess this is America still..
EZ
P.S.
206 PNW love
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

EzMan wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I just don't understand this bizarre desire to have interchangeable parts between completely different instruments. If you want a quality fife, get a quality fife.
Well I guess if I was trying to put a wammy bar or a cymbal on my whistle you might be on to something. Seeing as how I am just looking to change my cylindrical high D flute from fipple blown to a side blown flute... My Burke is a $240 instrument, IDK if you have another $2-300 for me do get a nice professional tunable fife but I don't have that to invest in a whole nother instrument.
Guess this is America still..
EZ
P.S.
206 PNW love
Ditto! Livin' that 98117 high life.

My point is that (speaking as someone who has been working 4.5 years on a new whistlehead design) of the $240 in that whistle, approximately $200 is contained in the headjoint. You're not saving $240 worth of instrument, you're losing $200. If you, or someone you know, can make a headjoint worth putting on that body, you're not really saving more than 40 bucks. Just make the body too, and you can optimize it for the sideblown head.