1897 (est) Huller 8 key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sequimite
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

1897 (est) Huller 8 key flute

Post by Sequimite »

When I saw this online I figured it to be the Huller made Sears 7589 from the 1897 catalog. It's a ringer except for the inlaid German silver around the six holes and was instead made by Huller for Bruno, a US musical instrument distributor. I was pretty thrilled to find the key and a working lock. The two cracks are not leaking air. It's missing a cork and one key is slightly corroded but they all seem to work just fine. I was relying on Michael Lynn's (originalflutes.com) experience and opinion that flutes marked LP and made for the American market in this era are in fact A440.

I just started into traditional Irish music on mandolin but was intrigued by the flutists I had heard and so , after two weeks of research got this, my first flute.

All suggestions on caring for this are appreciated. I'm finding resources on how to play it.