It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm 

I have a longstandibg admiration and affection for the Cronnolley's and their excellent flutes. I own one of his first ones and a later one with the new end piece lettering. What disturbs me is the impression the web site in question gives that it's practically useless in describing his innovative new flute - by a presumably paid professional designer who knows nothing about flutes and took the money anyway.

I like the original web sites Michael wrote himself, full of earnest enthusiasm, comments and advice as well as his flute playing craftsman's delight in sharing his passion, choices of materials and values.

I don't like seeing him so let down by this useless debut ...

K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 pm 

Any artisan should know that a website can be a crucial part of our business. Sadly, it's also one of the things that a great many artisans skimp on (or they simply use something like Facebook, which is a very lame substitute). But I get it, because sometimes money is tight (and flute making is not the most lucrative profession :-).

So I'm not having a go at M&E at all--this conversation merely put me in mind of this issue. Appearances are important. Information is important. If we don't have the skills to do our own website (I certainly don't) then it is worthwhile to pony up and get something top notch if at all possible. I even wrote a blog about it! https://www.ellisflutes.com/blog/the-invisible-web-master

I've been investing in my website for years, but it pays for itself over and over. I got inspired after seeing the Windward Flutes website (http://windwardflutes.com/) which was the most elegant and beautifully designed flute website I had seen up to that point. Nothing came close to it among flute maker websites (and it still looks amazing). It really makes an impression. Forbes and Yola told me that their son did the photos and design, so having a family member with such a skill set is very nice!

Anyway, it's a drag when a good artisan gets bad press because of something as simple as a website. It doesn't have to be complicated: just some really good photos and easy navigation to the important information.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 am 

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
keithsandra wrote:
What a terrible M&E web page of the novice flute. The header is blurred beyond recognition. The actual photo of the flute is an artsy, blurry effort by someone who knows nothing about flutes or the need to illustrate the embouchure, finger hole sizes and hole placings, length of flute, bore size, wall thickness, or manufacturing material. There's no sound offered nor any attempt to offer descriptive details in a caption. Worthless.

K.

I wouldn't slag on M&E. They make great instruments and are probably still in the process of updating their website. Not everyone can be a web designer AND a flutemaker, not everyone can pay for a Wix or Squarespace site, and not everyone can quit their day job to make flutes AND run a website.

That is a Wix website. Typically Wix websites are designed by the owner. Not everyone has the budget for a professional website, but if you're going to DIY your site, Wix is not a good choice.

But I'm wary of sending this thread off on a tangent. Just wanted to correct the possibly erroneous suggestion that some web designer did a lousy job on this website.

*edit* - yikes, just saw the footer credit on the home page and yes indeed, this site is credited to a third party "designer". The eBay Pakistani flute of web design. For a paid designer to ship a Wix site is just awful.