It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1485
Location: None
Hi. I am a tourist visiting from the whistle forum. I can sort-of play the whistle (high and low) and was toying with the idea of learning to play flute.

I am almost entirely ignorant of the flute world, but have read some of this forum and searched on 'beginner' without much luck. I have two questions and would be grateful if someone could answer...
  • Does anyone have a link to an idiots guide to the whistle. I am most interested in keyless (I think) as it will be more familiar. But something describing the purpose and usefulness of each bit of a flute would be good.
  • What would be the easiest flute to learn on. I do not mind buying a cheap one and then moving up, and I dont mind spending a bit more on a first flute if it will ease my learning. I live in the UK and am resistant to purchasing from the abroad - import duties extra delay, etc. Any recomendations? My primary goal is to ease the early learning curve.

Thanks in advance for any help

Phill


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:50 am
Posts: 4525
Location: Larkhall Scotland
Hi DrPhil

If you are thinking of learning flute Comhaltas branches in the UK might be a good place to start.

David

_________________
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1485
Location: None
Thanks David, but the nearest is about three hours away...... but if one had been nearer then that would have been a very good idea.

_________________
Phill

Press any key to continue, any other key to exit.......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 am
Posts: 188
Where are you?

Best to get some one to one tuition if you can

For online tuition have a look at the Online Academy of Irish Music at https://www.oaim.ie/

You can get free starter lessons like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goCd1mEWsWs&t=605s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_PWkS4W_0


I've heard that Millyard flutes are reasonable players at reasonable prices and made in Northamptonshire http://www.tonymillyard.com/

http://www.millyard-molem.com/trad_flutes.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/Goodflutes


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1485
Location: None
Gromit wrote:
Where are you?

Best to get some one to one tuition if you can

For online tuition have a look at the Online Academy of Irish Music at https://www.oaim.ie/

You can get free starter lessons like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goCd1mEWsWs&t=605s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_PWkS4W_0

Free starter lessons sound good. I am remarkably isolated from any useful resources here. My gues is that the nearest teacher would be an hours drive away if I am lucky.

Gromit wrote:
I've heard that Millyard flutes are reasonable players at reasonable prices and made in Northamptonshire http://www.tonymillyard.com/

http://www.millyard-molem.com/trad_flutes.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/Goodflutes

Gosh, it costs that much to start? They do look like nice instruments though.

_________________
Phill

Press any key to continue, any other key to exit.......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Posts: 29
i bought a keyless D flute from Tony recently, which i'm waiting to have keys added to, and i found him very pleasant and easy to deal with, and also very open to working with you on particular details like hole or key placement. he uses post-mounted keys so you can buy a keyless flute now and have keys added later; his waiting list for keys is about four months at the moment.

personally i'm very happy with the flute and i prefer it to my other (much cheaper) polymer flute, but since i'm hardly an advanced player you might want to take that with a grain of salt!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am
Posts: 617
Location: Surrey/Hants border, England
Simple system flute is like playing your whistle, only holding it transversely. :wink:

Simple system flute doesn't have to cost a lot, the Tony Dixon ABS one piece is perfect for learning on, costs £37.
https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... -key-of-d/

Finding your embouchure can take a while when you first start, but it will develop.

Once you are up & running, they have a 3 piece delrin model which is quite a nice flute to play.
There are also Damian Thompson flutes that are worth looking at too.
Both companies are UK based, & I've used them happily.

_________________
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1485
Location: None
fatmac wrote:
Simple system flute is like playing your whistle, only holding it transversely. :wink:

Simple system flute doesn't have to cost a lot, the Tony Dixon ABS one piece is perfect for learning on, costs £37.
https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... -key-of-d/

Finding your embouchure can take a while when you first start, but it will develop.

Once you are up & running, they have a 3 piece delrin model which is quite a nice flute to play.
There are also Damian Thompson flutes that are worth looking at too.
Both companies are UK based, & I've used them happily.


Thanks Fatmac

I saw the dixon and its price-point attracted me. I have some of Tony Dixons whistles and would be happy to buy from him.... I restrained my enthusiasm as I did not know if his flute would be easy or hard to learn on. I would be happy to pay more if I could begin to get results sooner (ie to avoid a known hard-to-play model), but if not that would be my flute of choice. So the question changes to could I do better than this for a first flute?

_________________
Phill

Press any key to continue, any other key to exit.......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: Wheeling, WV
DrPhill wrote:
Gromit wrote:
Where are you?

Best to get some one to one tuition if you can

For online tuition have a look at the Online Academy of Irish Music at https://www.oaim.ie/

You can get free starter lessons like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goCd1mEWsWs&t=605s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_PWkS4W_0

Free starter lessons sound good. I am remarkably isolated from any useful resources here. My gues is that the nearest teacher would be an hours drive away if I am lucky.

Gromit wrote:
I've heard that Millyard flutes are reasonable players at reasonable prices and made in Northamptonshire http://www.tonymillyard.com/

http://www.millyard-molem.com/trad_flutes.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/Goodflutes

Gosh, it costs that much to start? They do look like nice instruments though.


Just got spammed following the Millyard/Rudall flute link... Be careful!!!

Pat

_________________
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 am
Posts: 57
You might try Damian Thompson flutes. He makes them in Staffordshire.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 am
Posts: 188
Plunk111 is right the links on this site - http://www.millyard-molem.com/trad_flutes.html are all dodgy.

I can't edit my post to remove it but http://www.millyard-molem.com/ looks ok to me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Posts: 29
i think his current website is http://www.tonymillyard.com/, or at least that's the one i've been using - it has all the info about his flutes on it (including a couple of videos).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am
Posts: 617
Location: Surrey/Hants border, England
Quote:
So the question changes to could I do better than this for a first flute?


I don't think so, not if you want to keep the price sensible for a first introduction, next step up is in the region of £150 to £200.

(At least, that was what I found, my second flute was a Damian Thompson, I think I paid £158, 2 piece delrin, but his prices have gone up a bit since I got mine.)

There is a 3 piece aluminium flute for about £100, I got mine pre used from Ebay, it plays fairly well, but I personally think a delrin would be better.

Here's my post about the Davy Angus aluminium flute.
https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 2&t=108509

_________________
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 16832
People sometimes defeat themselves, and waste money, by purchasing inexpensive
flutes that are never going to play well. Rather than throw money away, there is something to
be said for buying a good flute, which I reckon you can do for under 400 (e.g. the Copley delrin, which is
a good flute). I've owned two or three Dixons and been disapointed, FWIW. Dixon whistles are better
than the flutes. Worth remembering that the good flute is money in another form, in that you can recover the cash by selling it if one day you wish to.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beginner questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:15 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Seattle, WA
DrPhill wrote:
Gosh, it costs that much to start? They do look like nice instruments though.


Let me drill this into you: buy the best instrument you can afford. It seems tempting to get a cheap one "just to see," but really, borrow or rent a good instrument to see if you enjoy playing it. There are few, if any, bargains to be had, and a good instrument keeps its value if you end up selling it. I've never once regretted buying a good instrument despite the expense frightening me sometimes. I have regretted buying cheaper instruments, where all told a few hundred dollars more would have made all the difference.

I'll chime in on the Millyard flutes - I love his F flutes, and he's a very nice guy, so do go see him if you have the chance!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.151s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)