Fife forum ??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Fife forum ??

Post by MichaelRS »

I know there's a lot of crossover players here, so can somebody advise me of a website that has a Fife forum similar to this type of forum?
When I put it in that search I just don't seem to get the results I'm looking for.
Thank you.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Fife forum ??

Post by Katharine »

My guess would be that forums with extensive discussion of fifes might tend to be devoted to fife and drum corps? This might be okay to you (or, maybe that's precisely what you're wanting?), and such places might indeed have a lot of information on technique and maintenance and makers (I assume that's the sort of thing you're looking for), but if it's not historical type fifing you're looking for, I imagine you'd have to also sort through posts about drumming, marching, band politics, uniforming, history, locations, reenactments, travel, competitions (if such things exist), etc. But, you might not mind that.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Katharine wrote:My guess would be that forums with extensive discussion of fifes might tend to be devoted to fife and drum corps? This might be okay to you (or, maybe that's precisely what you're wanting?), and such places might indeed have a lot of information on technique and maintenance and makers (I assume that's the sort of thing you're looking for), but if it's not historical type fifing you're looking for, I imagine you'd have to also sort through posts about drumming, marching, band politics, uniforming, history, locations, reenactments, travel, competitions (if such things exist), etc. But, you might not mind that.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I am interested in American revolutionary and Civil War type fife playing.
Also looking for my recommendations on types of fifes.
Since my post I have added Fife and Drum Corps to my search in that brings up some stuff but I'm just really surprised there's not some sort of obvious Forum board out there is as there is here
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Look for Civil War, most likely to find what you want.

https://www.nationalcivilwarfieldmusics ... tunes.html
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Here is a fife maker from CT, Musiquemorneaux by Joe Morneault who is also a history buff and quite likeable guy. Inquire thru website.

http://musiquemorneaux.com/

And you might add the key word "muster" during web searches.
https://companyoffifeanddrum.org/events ... ar/musters

Hope this helps.