Glues for cork

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Andro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Glues for cork

Post by Andro »

From the archive resources here I see that Barge Rubber Cement is ideal for gluing cork to wood. Unfortunately this is unavailable in Australia, and the shipping cost for a 2 oz tube is astronomical (such is our situation).

In my case, I need to repair a cork on my Delrin flute. [We recently had a thread where people were surprised at cork on Delrin flute, so that has been discussed.] What are recommended alternatives to Barge? I am aware that nothing much sticks to Delrin, but the existing corks are pretty well stuck down, so something must work I suppose.

Is any general shoe type rubber cement such as E6000 Shoe Goo OK?

I am wondering if I should simply pull the cork and lap the tenon with thread?

Andrew
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Glues for cork

Post by kkrell »

A previous thread in which gluing to Delrin is discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106667&hilit=glue+delrin

Also, much older & possibly more inaccurate info:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89973&hilit=glue+delrin#p1087739
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org