Advice on crack in barrel

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SteveB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Advice on crack in barrel

Post by SteveB »

Hi All,

ARGHH!...I just got a crack in the barrel of my Sam Murray Flute :cry: If someone could recommend a good woodwind repairer in the Toronto, Canada area it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on care of the flute until such time that I can get it looked at? It's a hairline crack on the inside of the barrel, extending from the end of the barrel tenon to where the tuning slide starts. It doesn't look like it goes all the way through to the outside (I now have more appreciation Sam's thickened barrel design!). The flute seems to play fine and passes the "suck and blow test". It didn't crack due to lack of humidification or anything. Rather I was trying to jam the Murray head and barrel onto another flute's body and (stupidly) didn't stop once I found the fit to be rather tight. Provided I keep it humidified, etc..Is there any reason why I can't keep playing it until I can send it for repairs? I've seen people with their barrels wrapped in what appears to be duct tape. Will this heIp keep the crack from extending, or is it just meant to stop air leakage in the case of a really big crack?

All and any advice is greatly appreciated,

Steve

UPDATE: upon closer inspection under better lighting, the crack does in fact reach the outside :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Advice on crack in barrel

Post by Tunborough »

Is Gary Armstrong still in business? While I don't have personal experience, I understood he was the go-to guy for woodwind repairs in Toronto.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I have a R&R patent head with a cracked barrel which plays fine with a piece of sellotape on the inside of the barrel covering the crack. The tape is thin enough that it doesn't impede the barrel socket from sliding onto the tenon of the flute body. This should work for you until you can get the flute to a woodwind repair shop and they can make a permanent repair by gluing the barrel. Whatever you do don't send the flute to Sam Murray for repairs.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The crack would, alas, reach the outside. There really is no such thing as a partial thickness crack in the thin walls of a flute. At least, I've yet to see one, though I've seen a few which were claimed to be such but were in fact full thickness when properly examined.

My inclination for a temporary safety measure if you aren't going to attempt to repair it yourself would be to bind the exterior of the barrel very tightly with waxed cotton thread, or perhaps with a few small cable ties, to ensure nothing stresses the crack further. That may be tricky on a Murray pointy swelling style barrel, but still, do your best. Then, if feasible, something to seal the interior crack line to try to prevent water ingress, as Steampacket suggests, though Sellotape ("Scotch" to Merkins) isn't very water-resistant.

As for longer term solutions, IMO because it involves a socket the crack will need to be glued and sealed and also either pinned or banded, at least in the socket part of the barrel. It would probably be best to remove the metal liner/tuning slide for the crack repair and refit it after. Gluing the slide tube back in after crack repair provides extra support to the repair. Or, the best solution if you can find a maker to do it, would be to have the socket or even the full length of the wooden tube enlarged and bushed internally with new timber and then recut, making in effect a plywood socket/whole barrel, with Sam's original on the outside. Jon C might be your best bet in N. America.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

People who tape their flute barrels likely already have cracks and are trying the "live with it approach." With Cites II restrictions you might be limited to keeping it in Canada to get repaired. Someone who works on oboes may be able to handle the job if you can't find someone experienced with simple system flutes. I'd print out Jem's suggestions and see what happens when you shop around for repair persons. I'm not sure I'd play the flute. Taping it outside and inside might help or might not. Do you want to risk it? Jon is your obvious guy in the States, but you are not in the States so Cites II makes shipping a problem. You can travel to the States with it under current law, but shipping restrictions are in place between US and Canada with Cities II if I'm not wrong.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

But you could drive with it to the States and then mail it once across the border, depending on how SW in Ontario you are. Unless, of course, you fancy a road trip to California to see Jon in person.

Best wishes.

Steve

[Sorry, I just noticed that it wasn't the OP who is in SW Ontario. But Toronto isn't all that far from the US border.]
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Steve Bliven wrote:But you could drive with it to the States and then mail it once across the border, depending on how SW in Ontario you are. Unless, of course, you fancy a road trip to California to see Jon in person.

Best wishes.
Road trip! (or two) :D
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input. I have found a woodwind repair person in TO who comes well recommended. In the meantime, the patient has been gently but firmly wrapped and left to rest up before the procedure. Wish me luck!

Steve
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

SteveB wrote:ARGHH!...I just got a crack in the barrel of my Sam Murray Flute :cry: If someone could recommend a good woodwind repairer in the Toronto, Canada area it would be greatly appreciated.
How about Forbes Christie of Windward Flutes in Nova Scotia?
http://www.windwardflutes.com/restoration.html
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It is important to pull the sleeve on the barrel, to release the pressure on the shrinking wood, some repairers will opt to pin the crack, which is a very bad idea. Another option is to wedge wood in the crack, but pulling the sleeve and boring out the socket and grafting new wood is the best possible repair.
Good luck!, A road trip would be more fun... :party:
Last edited by Jon C. on Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
SteveB wrote:ARGHH!...I just got a crack in the barrel of my Sam Murray Flute :cry: If someone could recommend a good woodwind repairer in the Toronto, Canada area it would be greatly appreciated.
How about Forbes Christie of Windward Flutes in Nova Scotia?
http://www.windwardflutes.com/restoration.html
I am sure Forbes would have plenty of free time to fix the flute... (not)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Stuporman

Post by Stuporman »

"Sellotape ("Scotch" to Merkins) isn't very water-resistant."

Merkins? Is that really necessary?