Alternative to Sweet Shannon flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Alternative to Sweet Shannon flute?

Post by jiminos »

Purpose-built... Muscle it in... Yada Yada...

The first flutes or flute like instruments were made from bones or branches. They seemed to do the trick. Current bamboo offerings are often simply amazing. ie... Olwell, Billy Miller.....

Cylindrical v conical... Seems to me the Boehm flutes do okay. The body is a cylinder. The headjoint is not cylindrical. If I recall, it is parabolic or some such. My Tipple has a Fajardo wedge in the headjoint to achieve the same purpose.

Muscling - the embrouchure required to play any flute will vary from instrument to instrument. Even on a specific instrument, the embrouchure will vary between, and sometimes within, an octave. There is no such thing as "only one embrouchure is required for this flute." From that perspective, I'd say that every flute must be muscled in to some extent.

Every flute is different. Every player is different.

Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
PB+J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I want to add that i think the Shannon flute is very well made and a very good value. The M&E just got me closer to the "sound in my head" more quickly. As mentioned above, flutes seem to vary a lot and I suspect it's because mouths (head/jaws/teeth/lips etc.) vary a lot.

You can also look at the Irish Flute Store--they have stock on hand.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

I thank everybody for their thoughts and advice. As you can tell I don't have a lot of experience with this particular type of instrument, so I'm just guessing and going on the few samples that I do have and have played
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As PB+J mentioned, there is a new Shannon at The Irish Flute Store at the usual price.

Best wishes,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Steve Bliven wrote:As PB+J mentioned, there is a new Shannon at The Irish Flute Store at the usual price.

Best wishes,

Steve
Thanks for the clue. Can't take advantage of that until the first of the month...IF it's still there.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Walt Sweet Shannon flute for sale

Post by Julia Delaney »

I have a very slightly used Shannon flute that I am selling. You could not tell this from a new flute. It plays very well.

I only used it a few times to play along with a student of mine who was also playing a Shannon flute.

The price is $250 including shipping. Please add $10 if you pay by Paypal. Otherwise check or bank check is fine.

Let me know soon because I'll be out of the country (in Ireland) for a few weeks.

Best wishes,

David
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

MichaelRS wrote:I thank everybody for their thoughts and advice. As you can tell I don't have a lot of experience with this particular type of instrument, so I'm just guessing and going on the few samples that I do have and have played

Me too! I've only been playing for a few months. A lot of things transfer over from the whistle. For me, the fingering is easy; the breath control is killer. I started it partly because I assume as an older guy it would be good for me to have an activity that demanded breath control and more "wind," deeper and more diaphragmatic breathing. It's all about learning effective phrasing within the limits, and expending the limits where I can. Also it's really fun. The flute has a cool "feel" under the fingers
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Well now there's no need for alternative for a Shannon for me, because my actual Shannon flute should be here very shortly.

It was the one recently listed for sale and I was fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of it.
I'll report back with my thoughts on it in a day or two.

I think it's always good to refresh a topic like this, or a similar one, becsuse I know there are other people out there like me who probably have the same questions and it's nice to have recent opinions in the forefront, as opposed to some threads that are older.

I also found the flute makers like Walter Sweet and others suggested here, such as Rob Forbes and Dave Copley, to be very responsive to and helpful with inquiries. Others may be as well, but I did not reach out to them because I believed those three best suited my needs at the moment.

Once again I thank all of you for your help and guidance in this matter. Lots of great people in these forums.
Last edited by MichaelRS on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

I'd just like to express my appreciation for the word 'nebulosity'. :D