It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am 

busterbill wrote:
Conical bore wrote:
I have never understood these flimsy locks on musical instrument cases*.

My son has a very nice violin in a Bam case with a combo lock. Of course he never locks it. One day in college he called me frantic about a chip on the edge on the back of the violin. He is a very careful guy and would remember any damage he would have made. My theory was some other orchestra member was interested in the sound of the violin, and having the brain of a 20 year old figured he or she could try it without asking, hit it on something and was too embarrassed to confess. In this case the damage was repairable, but it did stress out my son. That is about the only thing these locks are good for. If you instrument is valuable enough to steal, yes, anyone can dismantle a case or break a lock.

This is exactly what the lock is for, curious friends and family members. A thief would just carry the whole thing away. It just creates a situation in which a person needs to ask permission before looking with their hands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:26 am 

busterbill wrote:
This is exactly what the lock is for, curious friends and family members. A thief would just carry the whole thing away. It just creates a situation in which a person needs to ask permission before looking with their hands.

I still have to wonder about the percentage of musical instrument case owners who have ever actually used the locks. I'll bet it's a tiny percentage, which leads me to think those locks are put on cases mainly for marketing psychology. A lock on a case implies there is something valuable inside, and who doesn't want to think their instruments are valuable? :)

Anyway, I'm glad my Northwind flute cases don't have locking clasps. And I'm nervous about the lock on my Pegasus mandolin case. It's probably not something that would lock itself accidentally, but it would really suck to have to pry that case open and damage it in the process, if that ever happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 am 

Conical bore wrote:
... which leads me to think those locks are put on cases mainly for marketing psychology.

I think they offer an extra safeguard against the case opening accidentally during transport - "Belt and braces". The downside is the risk of losing the key. It's not uncomon to see instrument cases, toolboxes, paintboxes etc with an extra strap. For luggage I have lockable straps but leave one of the keys in an outside pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:39 am 

Maissenbacher.de sells the appropriate stuff, though only in quantities of 1000 or so. I have got them to send me a couple of sliding latches as a sample which should sort out the current box, but it is still not a solution for later ones. I am not really ready to buy 2000 latches (left and right) for stock. And I don't really fancy trying to punt them individually on ebay either. They do seem to have all the appropriate hinges and so on though.

Reflecting on the options, buying some kind of cheap finished case and stripping the hardware may actually turn out to be the most effective solution - doesn't help with my environmental attitudes about waste though.

Flute: Swinging on the Gate
Flute: Sally Gardens
4th June 2012:
Flute: Rolling in the Ryegrass, Green Gates
2 April, 2012:
Smallpipes: The Meeting of the Waters. Corn Riggs
Smallpipes: Mrs Hamilton of Pithcaithland

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:39 pm 

I think the person I got the suggestion of www.spryco.uk from said the button catches came from Germany, so probably Maissenbacher.de. A minimum order was mentioned but I don't think it was 1000 Maybe someone is buying them by the 1000 and selling them with a big markup in smaller quantities.