Rudall & Rose #3981 - restoration photo-story

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall & Rose #3981 - restoration photo-story

Post by jemtheflute »

I have published one of my overhaul/restoration photo-stories in my Facebook photo albums. The flute in question is Rudall & Rose #3981, a large-holed 10-keyer with foot to Bb, which came to me for restoration from its lucky owner in Scotland via the intercession of our own Kenny. There is also a full written commentary on the album and each photo is captioned.

One or other of the following links should take you to the publicly viewable photo album even if you are not a FB member.
Photo Album Link 1
Photo Album Link 2
(Non-FBers, please let me know if neither of those gets you in and I'll try again. FB members should have no problem.)

I have also, as I usually do, published some demo videos of the flute after overhaul. These can be viewed on YouTube in this Playlist on my YT Channel. A new feature of the demo videos is one (Part 3) showing an investigation of the flute's intonation/tuning using TTtuner, the excellent Android app version of RTTA.

If you are interested in background on the known extant R&R flutes with extended footjoints to low Bb, this thread about them in the Flute History Channel on FB is relevant.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Re: Rudall & Rose #3981 - restoration photo-story

Post by gbyrne »

I'm a conscientious abstainer from FB. The links don't allow viewing without logging in.

YouTube videos are excellent. That Bb foot is a bit of a monster. Thanks for taking the time to share the videos - interesting.

I was surprised that the D was still 24c flat and the C/C# almost 40c. Are those within the "lipping up" range?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ok, I'll try to sort another link to the photo album. It should be possible to share it to non-FBers - I have done so before but couldn't get hold of the correct format link via my phone - will try again via desktop.

It isn't possible to lip the flat foot notes up entirely, especially the C# which is by far the worst. However, I think the tunes videos demonstrate that in a musical context it is possible to get somewhere near acceptable lipping-in. I have to consult with the owner about possibly flattening the G, A and B (which tend sharp) by reducing the tone-hole sizes slightly (wood dust and superglue, non-invasive and reversible) which would allow one to tune the flute sharper overall and thus reduce the foot end flatness and shorten the scale. But ultimately the foot will remain relatively flat.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Looking forward to the resurrection of this flute, and trying it out.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

gbyrne, I've tried again with the FB links, but there is either a glitch or an off-site sharing policy change at the moment - it used to be possible to get a public link which allowed non-members to view, but it's not on offer in the dropdown menu where it used to be at present and I can't see it anywhere else.

On the off-chance, try this one

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
paddler

Post by paddler »

That one works for me. When prompted to log in, you just have to click the "not now" link and then you get to see the pictures.
Thanks!
paddler

Post by paddler »

I finally found the time to go through your whole collection of photos and videos. Great job! That one had a lot of problems to fix! I like your attention to detail, and I thought you did a very nice job. The end results, and in particular the demonstration of all those foot keys working flawlessly, was impressive! I hate trying to get the open-standing foot keys working well, even when there are only two of them! :swear: