Sealing a crack in an old wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mucksavage
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play alot of Irish trad flute when I was younger.
Getting back into it now :-)
Enjoying it a lot.

Sealing a crack in an old wooden flute

Post by mucksavage »

Hi
I know there are several posts etc on fixing cracks...

Is there any reason not to use wood glue?
Or other types of glues or fillers that are easy to work with and clean off?

Thanks
busterbill

Re: Sealing a crack in an old wooden flute

Post by busterbill »

I've drizzled super glue or superglue with wood dust from sanding into a crack in the past. I've no experience with white or yellow Elmer's type wood glues on flutes, but since I've never heard them mentioned perhaps there is a reason not to. I am assuming you are not talking about Gorilla Glue which bubbles up as it dries. That would make a great mess.
adamstjohn
Tell us something.: I make simple flutes from a variety of woods, particularly interested in native pacific northwest woods. I also make other instruments. Cheers!

Re: Sealing a crack in an old wooden flute

Post by adamstjohn »

Definitely dont use gorilla glue or any glue that will expand as it dries!

Violin makers and other instrument makers use hide glue, but I would not recommend this because 1) hide glue is meant to hold together parts which already tightly fit, and it is made to break or come apart when the parts themselves want to break or come apart (that way the glue breaks, not the wood)-- so hide glue would not work well to hold together a crack which may want to grow. And 2) hide glue does not hold up to moisture, so assuming that this crack in the flute passes all the way into the bore of the flute where it is exposed to the moisture and condensation of the players breath, hide glue would dissolve in this context.

So, you probably want a glue that wont expand, that is water resistant, and that will hold together parts that want to split back open..
sunlipped song a th'lapping leaf people