... in which the writer demonstrates his ignorance

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

... in which the writer demonstrates his ignorance

Post by Steve Bliven »

I got into a conversation the other day and, part-way through, I realized I had no idea what I was talking about. The discussion was over where the sound comes out of a flute. Among those present, opinions varied over whether it was from the embouchure, the lowest tone hole, the (open) end of the flute, or all of the above. Could someone more technically oriented clarify this for me?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: ... in which the writer demonstrates his ignorance

Post by Tunborough »

[... in which the responder trots out their own little bit of alleged knowledge ...]

I have seen one bit of research, on fipple flutes as I recall, that found about half the sound came from the window and half from the lower part of the flute. If there are open toneholes, they would share the load: much of it would come out of the top open tonehole, but those lower down and the end of the flute would also participate. I imagine the same would be true of transverse flutes.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wanderer »

My understanding (which, admittedly, could be flawed):
The sound in a flute is caused by the air vibrating at the embouchure hole. As you blow across the edge of the embouchure, a pressure wave is set up inside the flute body which causes air to alternately go into and out of the flute. This alternating action causes a vibration, making the tone. The speed of this vibration is caused by the resonance of the wave, which is determined by the tube length and determines the pitch. Opening tone holes shortens the tube length, changing the resonance of the pressure wave, changing the pitch.

Since the flute body mostly serves mostly as an air pressure regulator, and the sounds are caused by vibration at the embouchure, I would imagine that the majority of sound comes from the far edge of the embouchure hole (where the air is getting split). Of course, being a vibration, sound probably propagates and there may be some measurable amount from other areas of the flute, but I imagine it's negligible by comparison.

Some links for further reading:
https://www.yamaha.com/en/musical_instr ... sm002.html
https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/fluteacoustics.html
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

It comes out pretty much everywhere I think :-) Having said that, the embouchure hole is primary. I say this based upon making recordings of the flute in my studio and the microphone tells the story. Also, watch any flute player on stage in front of a mic and notice where the mic is relative to the flute. No one is miking the bottom of the flute, for example.

In studio settings, the best results I had came from pointing the mic in the general direction of the embouchure hole, but far enough back to also include the finger holes. In a live setting, you want the mic in close so you don't pic up other instruments and room noise, so you close-mic it at the place that counts the most: the embouchure. I know of one recording engineer at a pro studio who favored a ribbon mic up at the ceiling above the flute player! This ensured that he captured all of the nuances of the flute, including how it sounded in the room itself. Very interesting but not practical in a live setting.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Wanderer wrote:sound probably propagates and there may be some measurable amount from other areas of the flute, but I imagine it's negligible by comparison.
Pointing the tail end of a flute or whistle at a sound level meter while playing the bell note demonstrates that there's quite a bit of sound coming out that end.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Tunborough wrote:
Wanderer wrote:sound probably propagates and there may be some measurable amount from other areas of the flute, but I imagine it's negligible by comparison.
Pointing the tail end of a flute or whistle at a sound level meter while playing the bell note demonstrates that there's quite a bit of sound coming out that end.
On a few occasions I've placed a dynamic mic pointing up into the foot of the flute while I play. You definitely will get sound waves coming out of there, but if I remember correctly it was biased toward lower frequencies (gave a "bass-y" sound).
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Flutes are weird!
adamstjohn
Tell us something.: I make simple flutes from a variety of woods, particularly interested in native pacific northwest woods. I also make other instruments. Cheers!

Post by adamstjohn »

I agree that, when playing into a mic, a lot of sound comes from the embouchure hole. However there is somw conflict of interest here: the embouchure hole stays stationary while playing-- and thus is easier to mic-- while whatever is 'the open tone hole' or 'open end' shifts around as you play-- and thus is difficult to mic.

I dont know the physics thaat well, but heres some food for thought: flutes are mostly not resonating bodies (like a guitar or fiddle or drum). Rather it is almost entirely the air space itself that acts as a resonator. Very very very little sound is emanated from the exterior wall of the flute (fact from Nederveen).

Secondly, at the edge of the embouchure the air stream is oscillating back and forth, over and under the edge. As far as I understand, this is based mostly on a balance between the inside and outside of the flute. Thus I would guess that about half of the sound emanates from the embouchure, while approximately the other half is either emanating from the open end, or radiating from the pads of closed holes, or being lost to friction and heat with the wall and turbulences and moisture etc.

Then again, the players mouth and throat and sinuses are part of the system, so maybe most of it is resonating from their eyeballs! Who knows!
sunlipped song a th'lapping leaf people
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Blow into a bottle and will have the answer.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

everything you'll ever need to know about it right here.
Essentially the same on a simple-system wood flute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

RudallRose wrote:everything you'll ever need to know about it right here.
That's a great article, that I've looked at every now and then over the last few years. I've just looked at it again. I can't see the answer to the poster's question. Maybe I just can't see it for looking ...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:I got into a conversation the other day and, part-way through, I realized I had no idea what I was talking about. The discussion was over where the sound comes out of a flute. Among those present, opinions varied over whether it was from the embouchure, the lowest tone hole, the (open) end of the flute, or all of the above. Could someone more technically oriented clarify this for me?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Whenever you go and see a great flute player in concert, the mike is directed straight at the embouchure hole. Typically, there are no mikes directed anywhere else. I think that says something.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I looked at the "gearslutz" forum, which is run by and for audio engineers, and the consensus seemed to be that most of the action was at the embouchure hole, but that you needed to get some of the sound escaping from the finger holes or it wasn't going to sound right. The general recommendation was micing a feet feet back from the flute. Same with the sax--the general view was don't mic the bell only, because the soundholes are important. That's obviously not going to work live. Sax players Ive worked with have used a clip on mic at the bell. Flute players just stand near a vocal mic.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

RudallRose wrote:everything you'll ever need to know about it right here.
benhall.1 wrote:That's a great article, that I've looked at every now and then over the last few years. I've just looked at it again. I can't see the answer to the poster's question. Maybe I just can't see it for looking ...
The OP continues to be confused by this topic—but feels better as it seems that confusion is broader than just in his mind. The closest that the article from RudallRose seems to come is in the summary in the intro:
Once the air in the flute is vibrating, some of the energy is radiated as sound out of the end and any open holes.
This seems to suggest that the sound comes out, to one degree or another, from any open hole,l but I can't tell if it is assuming that the bulk of the sound comes from the embouchure hole. Other comments seem to suggest that the nature of the sound varies depending on the source of the sound leak. Maybe the OP should just shut up and blow...

Best wishes.

OP Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.