It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:26 am 

MichaelRS wrote:
But seriously, I'm wondering if when it comes to getting some basic sound if it's more difficult to play an open system flu like an Irish flute or a Fife versus the concert type flute, or is it half a dozen of one and six of the other? Anyone?

No, I don't think so, if anything I find the keyless quite a bit easier than the orchestral Boehm flute.

Also, I'm better on my keyless high D & C piccolos than my orchestral piccolo, (but I haven't really spent much time on it yet).

When I started, I had a Tony Dixon ABS high D piccolo which I used to improve my embouchure, it just seemed easier for me at the time.
(They are quite inexpensive, & it may help you with obtaining a reasonable embouchure.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 am 

fatmac wrote:
MichaelRS wrote:
But seriously, I'm wondering if when it comes to getting some basic sound if it's more difficult to play an open system flu like an Irish flute or a Fife versus the concert type flute, or is it half a dozen of one and six of the other? Anyone?

No, I don't think so, if anything I find the keyless quite a bit easier than the orchestral Boehm flute.

Also, I'm better on my keyless high D & C piccolos than my orchestral piccolo, (but I haven't really spent much time on it yet).

When I started, I had a Tony Dixon ABS high D piccolo which I used to improve my embouchure, it just seemed easier for me at the time.
(They are quite inexpensive, & it may help you with obtaining a reasonable embouchure.)

Thanks for the referral. But how easy is such an instrument like that Dixon Piccolo to blow? And by easy I mean in relative comparison to... Well I don't know exactly what to compare it to. A full size Irish low D flute?
I guess what I'm asking is is it more forgiving of a less than perfect embouchure?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 am 

All flutes & piccolo are difficult as regards to finding your embouchure, but the fact that the TD piccolo was smaller, certainly got me picking it up more often than my low D, so I reckoned it well worth the cost. :)

I believe it helped me considerably, to get me playing my flutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 pm 

MichaelRS wrote:
PB+J wrote:
I've been playing the flute pretty intensely for a couple months now, and I've made progress, but seem to have hit a wall. I can get a nice hard clear tone for a short time but just can't manage the wind effectively enough to play a whole tune well.

I'm having a private lesson Friday with a local player of Irish Traditional Music. It's a fairly hard instrument.

Well, elementary and junior high School age kids do it, not a few at that age with a reasonable amount of success. I was hoping in such a matters that I could be as capable as a 12 or 13 year old. :D

In elementary school and junior high I played the clarinet. In junior high I was 5th chair.
We actually only had 3 chair positions but the music teacher wanted to make sure there was a noticeable separation between me and the other kids who could really play
:o :lol:

I'd have little trouble joining my daughter's 8th grade orchestra on the six hole flute if they were in D or G. Playing three reels in a row at my age is considerably harder: there's no rest and no whole notes to speak of. Playing ONE reel at tempo, with feel and clarity, is impossible. So far!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm 

MichaelRS wrote:

I'd say you're looking more at embouchure than fingering system there. But, while the bigger, squarer embouchures of the modern Boehm flute are perhaps easier to blow with fifes, piccolos and baroque flutes more demanding and your typical simple system flute somewhere in between, mastery of anything's going to take work.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm 

Just a short post to thank everybody for their advice so far. I do read and consider it all.