Now I went and did it ... ordered an Olwell

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim_B1
antispam: No

Now I went and did it ... ordered an Olwell

Post by Jim_B1 »

So after years (over a decade :o ) of putting it off, I finally got around to putting in my order for an Olwell Blackwood keyless Pratten with a French lined head. It’s going to be a long year :) I’ve got a lot of work to get myself in shape to be worthy LOL.

I’m also waiting to get back my Casey Burns boxwood. I sent it back for a checkup and to get rings and a slide added. Can’t wait to get that one back. It’s one of Casey’s Rudall styles and I’ve had it for a long time. It’s a really sweet flute that I think is an under-rated design of his.

Working on two new songs and re-learning a few I forgot. I started taking piano lessons a couple of months ago and that seems to have revved up my impulse to play flute a lot lately. Not sure how that worked out but I’m having fun swapping from flute, to whistle, to guitar and then piano. Sounds crazy but it’s pushing me to do more musically then I have in a long time...

So I think it’s going to be a long but fun wait :)
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
jim stone

Re: Now I went and did it ... ordered an Olwell

Post by jim stone »

Patrick's flutes are, you know, wonderful. Casey does wonderful things with boxwood, as I expect you know.
Congratulations.
PlanxtyPipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Congrats! I'm at over 13 months waiting for mine at the moment, so be prepared for it to be more than a year! I was quoted around 10 months when I ordered...but I know that was just an estimation. I expect they may have had an uptick in orders since Michael Grinter's unfortunate passing, so they are probably swamped.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

PlanxtyPipes wrote:Congrats! I'm at over 13 months waiting for mine at the moment, so be prepared for it to be more than a year! I was quoted around 10 months when I ordered...but I know that was just an estimation. I expect they may have had an uptick in orders since Michael Grinter's unfortunate passing, so they are probably swamped.
No worries, I’ve waited like 14 years or something. Another 14 months will go quick LOL
-Jim
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
rogervj
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Post by rogervj »

Oddly coincidental, my main flute is a CB boxwood Rudall, which is fantastically expressive, and I am waiting on my CB standard mopane to return from a tuneup with a slide and rings. Good luck with the Olwell, compare them when you get it.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

For an extra couple of hundred bucks you can have Olwell put a few tunes into the new flute.
Most people don't know he offers this service.
It's one reason why his flutes sound so good and can play so many tunes.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Julia Delaney wrote:For an extra couple of hundred bucks you can have Olwell put a few tunes into the new flute.
Most people don't know he offers this service.
It's one reason why his flutes sound so good and can play so many tunes.

hahahaha like the fairies in my pipes