Knees and Flutes update

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Knees and Flutes update

Post by Casey Burns »

Hello Everyone!

Am having an inspiring week enjoying music in addition to my usual slog of making the hardware for everyone else to enjoy making music instead of me. 2 different performances of Lunasa (Tuesday and tomorrow night), hanging out with Kevin Crawford afterwards for a short spell, and then a magnificent opera "The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs" flawlessly performed by Seattle Opera last night. Nancy and I are going again next week. Meanwhile I am working on some 20-35 flutes I hope to complete before my knee replacement one August 25th including a half dozen keyed flutes.

I had a good discussion with some of the people at the clinic where I'll get my surgery. My "impairment" afterwards is sounding less daunting than expected and most actually get back up on their feet without the need for even a cane sometimes as soon as 1 to 2 weeks afterwards. The restrictions on working and driving have more to do with what pain relief strategies are used. I am pretty tough and avoid all NSAIDS except Tylenol which does very little for me and instead use other relaxation techniques and icing. So I suspect I will be a minimalist about this while I am maximizing the physical therapy aspect.

So I may lose on April or a part of it, flute making-wise. There will also be much that I can do sitting down basically such as key fitting and ring making. I am also looking for an easy to get into shop stool that may allow me to even sit at my primary lathe. As long as I am not high on morphines or opioids nor in excruciating pain, I will be able to continue some work.

Cheers!

Casey
jim stone

Re: Knees and Flutes update

Post by jim stone »

Go for it, Tiger!
rogervj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Re: Knees and Flutes update

Post by rogervj »

Mental attitude is a big part of healing. Seems like you are on top of it!