Keyed Bb flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Massimo.C
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I live in Ireland and play trad on the flute. I've availed of the info on this site several times and I'd like to share my experiences. Hup!

Keyed Bb flutes

Post by Massimo.C »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what's the general opinion here on modern keyed Bb flutes (not something I need but something I'd like ;) )
I see that Lehart seems to be a favourite and good value for money. I also see that Solene Lesouf makes 6 key Bb. I like that hers are block mounted and I like the funky key design. Has anyone had a chance of trying them both?
Does anyone else make keyed Bb that you know of? And what do you think of it?
Apologies if someone else posted this already. I'm not sure if I read a thread on it or I just dreamt it, a search gave no results.
Ta
Steve Bliven

Re: Keyed Bb flutes

Post by Steve Bliven »

Casey Burns in the US makes low flutes, although I'm not sure whether he is doing keys at this point in time—although his web site still lists them as an option.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Yep. I still make them keyed.

Casey
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I have a six-key Bb flute from Tom Aebi. I think he will make block-mounted keys on request but I got mine pin-mounted.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

John Gallagher makes them in Bb as well. I have an 8-keyed B flute from him, which was modified from (very detailed) measurements he made of a couple Rudall Bb flutes.

He also has a Bb band flute of mine that has a curved headjoint - he was doing some R&D to try to develop a Bb flute that doesn't have quite the long reach.
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Hi, I just got (last week) a 6 key Lehart Bb flute, and it sounds and looks absolutely wonderful. I'm really really happy with it. That said, I have not been able to try many other Bb flutes, but nevertheless, this one sounds great. I know Jean-Michel Veillon plays these. I chose Lehart not only because he was recommended, but also because I live not too far from him.

Photo here:

Thalatta