Flute stopper (cork) setting "How To" video demo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flute stopper (cork) setting "How To" video demo

Post by jemtheflute »

I just made this quick video demonstration of how to set a flute stopper correctly, in response to a pm request on Facebook. It's a perennially arising question! There are some useful links and important additional information in the written blurb on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/rtEEvuXnJ5M
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
niallt

Re: Flute stopper (cork) setting "How To" video demo

Post by niallt »

Thanks for the video Jem.

My two Olwells don't have this functionality; the crown isn't connected to the stopper. Between the crown and the stopper is just an empty chamber for concealing contraband while passing through airports :D

Surely once the flute has been correctly tuned or voiced in the maker's shop, it's set it and forget it, no? I understand from the video that some players might want to tweak it based on their preferred octave range, but for the average user, is this necessary?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi niallt.
I do mention flutes with no screw-adjuster in the written blurb on YT. They are just as adjustable and just as in need of it if you make major tuning slide adjustments. You just have to use a pusher from either side. And no, "shop setting" is not necessarily "perfect/correct" in all situations, though I wouldn't advise beginners/inexperienced folk to go tinkering for the sake of it. Nonetheless, this is an aspect of the set-up of a flute of which all players ought to gain an understanding. Even beginners should keep a record of the shop setting and check periodically that their stopper hasn't been inadvertently knocked out of position, and know how and where to reset it.

I'll add that I myself am, of course, coming from an angle of dealing mostly with antiques in need of restoration and second hand modern-made flutes. One of the first things I do with a new arrival is check the condition, seal and placement of the stopper, because getting them to work at all and making accurate appraisal of other aspects depend considerably on the stopper being "right"!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Thanks for the timely video. Any idea if Seery flutes need to be set up the same way as in your video? The one that came into my possession is old and cork moves around alot. Either way good to know I can mess with it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If the cork stopper moves around a lot/too easily, it probably leaks air too! It will need either to be replaced or tightened up. In the first instance I'd take it out, make sure it's not damaged or crumbly, clean it and steam it over the spout of a boiling kettle to expand and revive the cork. Then grease it and reinsert it, check it seals (suck test) and then reposition it as per the video. Makes no difference who made the flute, the same "rules" apply - put the stopper face at one head bore diameter from the embouchure centre, then test and tune the octaves by pushing it too and fro (very small amounts!), then also check whether you want it a little further out for tone/response reasons.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

You've made my flute sound amazing. Thanks!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Gcobean wrote:You've made my flute sound amazing. Thanks!
:)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums