Romy Benton bamboo flutes ....Where is Romy?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
seifeldin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Romy Benton bamboo flutes ....Where is Romy?

Post by seifeldin »

Does anybody know where Romy Benton is? He made wonderful bamboo flutes a few years back in Portland. I can't seem to be able to contact him anymore (website, tel, FB, email)?
Hisham
Geoffrey Ellis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Re: Romy Benton bamboo flutes ....Where is Romy?

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

seifeldin wrote:Does anybody know where Romy Benton is? He made wonderful bamboo flutes a few years back in Portland. I can't seem to be able to contact him anymore (website, tel, FB, email)?
It seems that Romy stopped making flutes quite a few years back. I went looking to contact him more than ten years ago and he had already vanished from the scene. He has a Facebook page that is virtually empty and hasn't been updated for nearly four years.

I was sorry that he stopped making flutes--his stuff was beautiful.
seifeldin

Post by seifeldin »

Thanks, Geoffry

I last talked to him maybe in 2008-2009.

Nice flutes you have there. What wood would be more resilient to cracking?
Cheers
Hisham
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

seifeldin wrote:Thanks, Geoffry

I last talked to him maybe in 2008-2009.

Nice flutes you have there. What wood would be more resilient to cracking?
Cheers
Thanks! As to cracking resistance, most of the wood I use is pretty stable (as compared to something like bamboo) but extreme environmental changes can still induce cracking (going from a humid environment to a very dry environment, for example).

If I were recommending materials to resist cracking, I'd suggest either one of my resin stabilized woods (I mostly do stabilizing on maple, cherry, walnut or curly fir), or something like roasted maple, which has been stabilizied by being cooked in an oven. Next up would be any kiln dried, domestic (non-tropical) wood. These are not necessarily the best choice for something like the Irish flute (anything with joints or tuning slides) but for one-piece flutes they work great. For ultimate stability, I recommend ebonite (natural hard rubber). It is immune to environmental conditions that would potentially crack wood, it's waterproof, beautiful and has amazing acoustic properties.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

One of the things that can be done to the woods in common use for flutes headed to dry climates is to seal them inside and out with a thin coat of polyurethane. I use one of the wipe-on Gel-Topcoat polyurethanes by General Finishes.

Casey
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Casey Burns wrote:One of the things that can be done to the woods in common use for flutes headed to dry climates is to seal them inside and out with a thin coat of polyurethane. I use one of the wipe-on Gel-Topcoat polyurethanes by General Finishes.

Casey
I'd second this. I use different coatings than Casey, but anything that seals the wood will protect it from changes in humidity.
Huhupat
Tell us something.: i've been making flutes for over twenty years, playing with friends and neighbors who help me tune my instruments and encourage me to share my art with the world. I carve bamboo flutes using concentrated sunlight and 3D-print whistle mouthpieces down to 42" contrabasses, as well as one-handed double tabor pipes.

Post by Huhupat »

Are you looking for a bass D bamboo flute?
seifeldin

Post by seifeldin »

Huhupat wrote:Are you looking for a bass D bamboo flute?
Sorry for the late reply ...I play an E bass.
Hisham
seifeldin

Post by seifeldin »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:
Casey Burns wrote:One of the things that can be done to the woods in common use for flutes headed to dry climates is to seal them inside and out with a thin coat of polyurethane. I use one of the wipe-on Gel-Topcoat polyurethanes by General Finishes.

Casey
I'd second this. I use different coatings than Casey, but anything that seals the wood will protect it from changes in humidity.

I saw your website Geoffrey ... great looking flutes. How would a maple bansuri sound compare to nodeless Asam bamboo? Can you make a lip plate from any other non CITES regulated wood? I'm currently in Europe.
Last edited by seifeldin on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hisham
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

seifeldin wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:

Casey

I saw your website Geoffey ... great looking flutes. How would a maple bansuri sound compare to nodeless Asam bamboo? Can you make a lip plate from any other non CITES regulated wood? I'm currently in Europe.
These days I use black ebonite for the lip plate on my bansuri. But if you would like to discuss it in more depth, please feel free to e-mail me: geoffrey@ellisflutes.com