Right index question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lsu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Right index question

Post by Lsu »

Does anyone else leave down your right index finger (G vent) sometimes on fast phrases? I don't do this when learning the fingering of a new tune, but once it gets up to speed, I've noticed that I often don't pick this finger up when going above it on the scale (I guess of out of laziness?). Tone-wise its barely noticeable (if at all) at high speed... Just wonder if this is common or a serious issue I've developed...
piperjoe

Re: Right index question

Post by piperjoe »

I don't have very broad experience playing different flutes, but I think that some flutes would react more to leaving that finger down than others.

So, I would think it kinda depends on the instrument. Will be interesting to see what some of the folks with multiple flutes in their collections have found.

Piper Joe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, and I do sometimes leave the rt index down, especially at speed. It does seem to help to stabilize the flute, though I certainly don't need it. My policy abt lazy fingering (FWIW) is to allow it rarely but not absolutely prohibit it. I err away, but not steeply.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have never been tempted. The way I play and hold my flute it would be more of a hinderance than a help. That finger always seems to need to be ready for a tap or a roll so holding it down would slow me down. I was taught long ago that I should be holding my flute with a minimum of grip for a maximum of flexibility to ornament. "Spaghetti fingers" was a phrase I remember. My chin, my two thumbs and an occasional imperceptible counter weight from my right little finger when needed seem to do the job of holding my flute. Stabilizing the flute is an act of balance not of grip. My first teachers taught me that my flute should be held so lightly that someone could easily knock it out of my hands while I was playing (not that I'd want them to.) I do feel free to grip a bit tighter in a crowded session when I see someone squeezing past with two pints and a violin case. But I let go when they've passed. :) I see a lot of new players with the death grip on their instruments. It makes it hard to ornament and easy to injure your hands.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I must admit, I've never done this. Trying it, it makes other notes sound awful, and out of tune as well. But maybe that's me. I would think it's got to be better to get out of this habit.
sjpete

Post by sjpete »

I have used the post here by pancelticpiper to learn some "lazy" (or in his words, efficient) fingering for fast phrases. I have found it helps immensely. In what he calls "D grip," the A suffers a little - but when it's a passing note in a fast run, I think it's worth it to achieve clean rhythm/speed. That being said, I do not leave the R1 down as a matter of course, only in certain situations.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104069
Lsu

Post by Lsu »

thanks for the feedback. Ive studied it some more and found Im only doing this in certain situations. Mainly when I have a fast note above the "G" and then the next note below the "G". On my flute, there is no discernible difference in tone at high speed. I dont intentionally do this, I guess that my ear is saying.."whats the difference, no harm no foul". Ive already started to phase out the habit as some of you noted that it could make a difference on other flutes.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have a lazy pinky on my right hand, keeping it down way too long for many notes. I works fine on my main flute, but I when I play one of my others, or whistle I have to wake it up as many notes get wonky. It is good to break up weird habits if you can.