Rudall and Rose Boxwood Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Rudall and Rose Boxwood Flute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, it's clearly what we call a "frankenflute" - one compiled from parts of several. Besides the stylistic differences others have noted, to me the R&R upper body has medium-sized tone-holes which look proportionately larger than the small style ones of the Pearson lower body, so I wonder how judicious a match they are for intonation and volume balance. The only way to find out how decently playable it is or isn't is to try it. Its potential value will rather depend on that. If it had been a complete, integral boxwood R&R in full playing condition it would have been worth over £3k, even in today's depressed antique flute market. As it is, I wouldn’t speculate £1.2k on it untried.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
scott1971charlie
Tell us something.: I have a boxwood flute that I am looking to value and ultimately sell. I have been given an offer but just making sure it is fair to him and me.

Post by scott1971charlie »

I am to send it down to London for them to look at and take from there. They had all the photos you have seen....same ones.
Many thanks again
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

An intact (except newer RRC barrel) R&R #1900, maybe for context.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Now we have established the nature of the flute and it's general condition I think it very hard to value it in line with "Rudall and Rose" values.
A player would need to try the instrument out first of all to establish the quality of sound - tuning, strength, clarity etc. Only then could that player put a value to it.

The OP mentions sending to London, with all due respect who are these authorities? They may not be the best choice depending who they are ! There are possibly others who appear on here who may give you a more realistic opinion.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Not sure how this flute is labelled. Website is a bit puzzling, but mentions Wylde & Pearson in the same page:
http://www.transversewoodenflutes.com/p ... den-flute/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

kkrell wrote:Not sure how this flute is labelled. Website is a bit puzzling, but mentions Wylde & Pearson in the same page:
http://www.transversewoodenflutes.com/p ... den-flute/
I can be of help about it, that Pearson (in my possession) is stamped "Pearson". then "Wylde" impressed on the long keys (C and F).
Also I had the chance to have a close comparation with 1840/50 Wylde flute and they result identical in making and tone.

From my own researches I can say that "Pearson" was active (as Dealer of musical instuments) from 1835 already
(and this will be in an essay sooner or later).

PS. I'll make efforts to improve the TWF website, as soon I'll be less busy. Sorry.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

thanks for that photo of my old boxwood Rudall, Kevin.
#1900 was mine for a time, but it never really caught my fancy. In retrospect, I probably should have held onto it just for fun. I forget where I sold it.

That 1980 would have been mildly different. But as the group notes, if it's not an intact Rudall....it's not really a Rudall, no matter how it plays. You'll always feel as if you've got 1/2 a flute.