Cases/Stands for stage use?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChrisCracknell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cases/Stands for stage use?

Post by ChrisCracknell »

When I end up on a stage, I often have a mixed set of instruments that I need to keep handy/safe/assembled and tuned. I have used tubes strapped to a music or mic stand, either with or without the head of the stand, but even padded, I am not happy about the keywork being protected adequately. My worst fear is the kicking over of the whole lot by other band members, myself or by the sound technicians (if any). I am not in the league of having roadies to keep them all offstage and hand them to me ready warmed up and tuned... The highest risk is not actually while playing, but in the waiting between playing, once everything has been set up. We are a bit of a low profile and somewhat musically diverse group at the moment which leads to small, crowded stages...

I was wondering if some variant on the case theme could be worked out - if there are ideas then I can make things myself. It would need to be a case where instruments can be held assembled and that is capable of standing up itself stably to present the instruments for use. It need not close with the instruments assembled, but it should allow safe storage of all the instruments in a format no bigger than a small flattish suitcase. (Suitable for chucking in back of car...)

Current set of instruments would be:
D flute with keys
Keyless F Flute
Boehm flute (not always)
Bflat Clarinet
G, A, C, D whistles.

If it works out then I would be thinking of a similar case setup for one or more bagpipes (Highland, SSP, Schäferpfeife?).

The floor footprint should not be too large and it shouldn't be too obtrusive a presence on the stage. I imagine having it standing slightly behind and to the side of me. This probably means having the instruments upright.

The closed/disassembled format could involve removable trays? Though they are something else to keep track of.

The option to pick up and carry the case/stand with the instruments ready to go would also be useful for busking...

I am thinking of something for my own use, though I might investigate making similar things for other people later, but that would require much more professionalism in my woodworking skills. Assuming wood is the was to go, which I would prefer on aesthetic grounds.

(I am aware of existing "spike" clarinet and flute stand, but I do not trust them due to their instability and the load that they put on the bottom joints of the instrument)
fatmac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Cases/Stands for stage use?

Post by fatmac »

A foam filled case, (with those removable blocks of foam), to fit your instruments, stood on a guitar stand(?).

A folding tripod, with your instruments in a bag/case, hanging inside the legs(?).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I'm interested in this subject and still haven't seen an ideal solution. When I played a keyless flute, I used a padded drum stick holder clamped to my small mandolin stand (my other instrument). I made a smaller tube insert from closed cell foam for a snug fit. That worked reasonably well, except for the "all eggs in one basket" damage potential, if someone in the band or session kicked over the entire stand, mandolin flute and all.

Now that I'm playing a keyed flute, I don't like the padded tube. If it's large enough not to interfere with the keys, it's difficult to secure the flute in the tube while still making it easy to grab. The small clamp-on "flute holders" with vertical rods aren't an option for delicate wooden flute lower sections.

As a temporary measure, I'm using a "Y" shaped violin holder clamped to the upper part of my mandolin stand, and just resting the flute against that with a rubber band to secure it. The bottom of the flute rests directly on the floor, and I put a small pad there for cushioning (and moisture trap). It's very quick to reach the flute and put it away when switching to mandolin, but the flute is completely exposed... not safe if kicked or stumbled over. Still thinking on this, and I'm interested in what everyone else is doing.

Since the OP needs to reach several flutes, not just one, then one idea (if there is enough room) might be a small folding table, fairly low to the ground. This might be more visible to others in the vicinity than vertical storage. Maybe something like this, with a velvet cloth placed on top for the flutes: https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/pack ... ar_Desktop
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

ChrisCracknell wrote:
(I am aware of existing "spike" clarinet and flute stand, but I do not trust them due to their instability and the load that they put on the bottom joints of the instrument)
The stand I use, made for me by a friend about 20-25 years ago, is pretty stable; it has a wooden base with dowels that fit into the sides for carrying; you then pull out the dowels and insert them into holes in the wooden base to hold the flutes. The dowels extend well past the foot joint and the flutes are supported nicely. I've been using this system for about 20 years now with no accidents. Jean-Michel Veillon seems to be using something similar; you can see his flutes lined up starting around 1:22 into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJ2tgn9bgA

The only issue I've encountered is that after a gig the dowels have swollen due to the moisture dripping around them from the flutes and it's sometimes hard/impossible to pull them out of the base.

Stability of these stands is determined by the size of the base. A narrow base will be easy to tip over; a wider base will be less convenient for transport but harder to tip over even with a full load of flutes.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Hercules makes a variety of stands that might suit. The "dowels" that hold the instruments are interchangeable and of varying diameter. Seem to be moisture resistant too. I couldn't find one the right diameter for my wooden flute but a few turns of gaffer's tape and it works a treat.

I wouldn't call them "roadie proof" though... :shock:

Piper Joe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

After I kicked over my flute, I took a sleeve from an old cast-off thin leather jacket and converted it into an open bag - a soft quiver, if you like - that I could hang from the mic stand, and I'd stick the flute in that. Easy access, and since you have to go out of your way to knock over a mic stand, I was able to be pretty confident about the flute's safety. I put ties on the top of the bag for hanging (you want those long so you can adjust the elevation), ties on the bottom for stability, and a roomy side pocket for the whistles. When the gig was over and the flute was put away, I'd put the whistles into the bag proper and tie it up, storing them in there. Worked really well for my needs.

You wouldn't even have to use leather; a jean jacket, or any sleeve of sturdy fabric, would do. Keep the shoulder end intact, because it's a diagonal cut and the upper part is the perfect place to attach the upper ties, and it makes a cover flap if you're storing whistles in it like I did.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

I Hope this works:https://www.flickr.com/photos/wireharp/ ... 6462987385
I made the stand with nothing more than a walnut board and two "t" nuts. I drilled down a recess and epoxied the 't' nuts in, and drilled out an appropriate bit of
wooden dowel , inserting and gluing a bolt shank. The case was fitted with foam covered in felt and has the same "t" nut system built into the lid.

Robert Mouland
http://www.wireharp.com
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Hi Robert, that is an interesting idea you have there - I will have to meditate on it a bit more. I have a - possibly irrational - dislike of the peg based stands, but maybe I need to rethink that?

Chris