Upcoming Knees - CP

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Upcoming Knees - CP

Post by Casey Burns »

Just wanted to let folks know that I will be getting knee replacement surgery hopefully in late March. I will be out of commission for a month or two possibly as far as flute production is concerned. This will especially affect Folk Flute deliveries for any flutes ordered after Feb 1st. I might have an inventory put away of these, however - especially if the surgery is pushed to April. I also have a few retailers who are well stocked that I can refer folks to. Otherwise I am trying to clear most of my queue for my higher end flutes before I go in. Am looking forward to knees that do not hurt!

Casey
kmag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Re: Upcoming Knees - CP

Post by kmag »

I hope all goes well Casey!
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Hi Casey...reminds me of the old trucker's story. "Old truckers never die, they just get a new Peterbilt!"

Seriously, best of luck. I hope to see you back on the rugby pitch soon! :thumbsup:

JD
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

good luck with the surgery
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

All the best for your upcoming surgery - hope you'll be running around like a teenager again soon. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Best wishes! I suffered (vicariously) a knee replacement that my ex-wife went through. It's damn-rough.

I hope you have support and assistance during the journey.

Once it is past, you will be much happier.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Yes, it's pretty rugged. I've had both replaced - 8 years ago now. But definitely worth doing. I had reached the point of only being able to go downstairs backwards. Which was a pain, as there is a flight of stairs between my workshop and my office. I sure hated it when I forgot something! Took a while to get over it, but now they are brilliant.

Still toying with the idea of joining Riverdance...

Saying "best of luck" is supposed to be unlucky on stage, so they say "break a leg" instead. Not quite sure that's quite appropriate here, but, go on Casey, do it!
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Thanks everyone!

From what I can gather the recovery isn't that bad once the swelling has gone down and the risk of infection is past. Getting one done at a time leaves one with a good leg to stand on. I just have to psych myself to go through it all over again. Fortunately I have a fairly high pain threshold, and know how to keep my inflammation down.

Casey
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Are you not eligible for one of those (I suppose relatively new) Nanoknee ( https://www.nanoknee.com/ ) procedures where the replacement is done and you're up using it in hours?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

That is only in California and I doubt my health insurance would cover it. I am also a little skeptical about it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Casey Burns wrote:That is only in California and I doubt my health insurance would cover it. I am also a little skeptical about it.
Their site says they can verify insurance coverage ( 805-669-9471 ), so maybe... And if an OK & affordable option, then certainly explore whether it's possibly a good technique and clinic. Ask other doctors, or see if there are any studies.

I don't know if similarly minimally invasive surgery techniques are available in Washington State, as for instance: https://www.seattlejointsurgeon.com/spe ... urgery.php
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've heard that even the plain old version of knee replacement surgery has improved over the years... Either way, good luck to you.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Best wishes for a full and complete recovery, Casey!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

mega-dittos
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Thanks everyone. The new one will probably hurt less than the current one that seems to be getting worse daily or weekly. Surgery is now scheduled at the beginning of April. The surgery will be fine and doesn't scare me. I should be able to get out most of the work in my current queue beforehand and possibly have time to stick up on some of the Folk Flutes or Folk Flute bodies in the interim. I am still taking orders for these for delivery by the end of March.

There could be up to a 4 month delay after the surgery for Folk Flutes ordered in February onward. However, I will be happy to take deposits for my higher end flutes.

I am actually trying to emphasize the latter this year. I am slowly setting up to make very close block mounted copies of this RR&C and am in the tooling phase. I can do a bunch of key making and ring making during my sit down recovery phase. I am also about to finish a standalone Rose Engine and will have that set up in my office, along with a desktop CNC mill. I will hardly be idle. I am actually looking forward to the time to pursue a variety of tasks that I have been putting off.

Casey