Who made this flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Who made this flute?

Post by Julia Delaney »

Key of D, nicely made, sold by McCullough and Piggot in the 60s. Haven't set a price to it yet. At least, not till I have a better idea of who made it. Someone thought it might have been made by Desi Seery. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Image Image Image
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Who made this flute?

Post by kkrell »

Have you tried asking them? There may be a historian at their company's current shop that might know where they sourced it. If it's Hudsonesque, I suppose it could be Desi, but I wasn't aware of him making flutes with the split hands, or that long ago. But then, I wasn't even aware that anyone made keyless flutes like that during the '60s folk revival. I thought that began in the '70s with folks like Hammy Hamilton, Eugene Lambe, & Bruce Du Ve.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Yes, I did ask them. The firm changed hands about 20 years ago, the shop relocated, and the old records are gone.
You are correct about flutes like this not being made in Ireland in the 60s. It might be made later but that's what the owner told me.
Sure is a mystery.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

I was tempted to bid on that flute but couldn't be 100% sure it wasn't made in the middle east. It looks good, how does it play?
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Interesting, JD. I'm imagining that the owner was wrong about the dates. And I'm unaware of anyone making flutes in the 60's. Anyone have any idea when Desi Seery started making flutes?

What more can you tell us about the flute? Is the head fully lined? Brass? The holes look small to medium sized, can you measure or estimate the diameter of the R2 hole? Do we think the cork lapping is newly applied (it looks it). I guess we don't know whether that was what it had originally. And no cap? Just a cork for the stopper?

I'm a bit intrigued because some of it looks like my early work - we even lined our cases like that in the early days, though normally with three slots. And didn't stamp a name or number on them. But we never sold any through a shop, so that seems unlikely. And I didn't normally fully line heads.
Julia Delaney

Post by Julia Delaney »

This is definitely not a flute made in the mid-east. Some of us are fairly certain that it is a flute made by Desi Seery. The date might be a bit off. It plays very nicely. Small holes. The rings are sterling. It plays in tune. The head is fully lined with brass slide. The flute came without a crown and we made a crown for the flute from ivoroid. The stopper is a piece of blackwood lined with cork.
I will post some pictures of the new crown, the repaired crack (nearly invisible), and some similar flutes made by Seery back in the day.
Podge

Post by Podge »

I've never seen a Seery flute with cork on the tenons.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Podge wrote:I've never seen a Seery flute with cork on the tenons.
It's super easy to replace thread with cork.

Eric
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

re cork....

But not always advised.