"Easiest" keyless flute for a beginner?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "Easiest" keyless flute for a beginner?

Post by busterbill »

nonpqlolzx wrote:
What would you recommend to start with to 14-years-old boy? I surfed internet, asked at many forums, but all forums about flutes are dead, or about to be dead :cry:

I found one more or less adequate overview and some flutes from amazon.

I will be very grateful, if you help me to choose:

1. Gemeinhardt 2BLK - it is said to be good brand, but i have no expirience about it
2. Kaizer FLT-1500NK - this one is cheaper twice. Money is not the main criteria, but is there such big difference?
3. Selmer Prelude FL711 - if you read this article, you'll see 'pros' and 'cons' at the end of every product, and there said, that it's been designed for smaller hands. If it's true, it's very good in my situation, because i buy it for my little brother :D
If smb alive here, please! I need an advice :boggle: :waah:
Hi, you are on a forum that deals mostly with simple system flutes. These are the historical ancestors of the Boehm type flutes you are looking for. So many of us don't have current experience with those.

Let me ask. Is there a high school band near your brother. If so the teacher who leads that band may have advice. I would not buy a flute from Amazon. If I were stuck with buying online in the US I would look at a retailer who specializes in instruments such as Wood Wind and Brass Wind. They have knowledgeable people who could answer any questions you may have. If you buy a flute online ask the retailer if they inspect the instruments before they send them out. If they don't, ask them what their policy is if an instrument is not playing correctly. A Gemeinhardt used to be considered a good beginners instrument that would last for quite awhile. (Some people keep their first flute for years and others move one to more expensive instruments if they follow music as a profession or serious hobby. But it has been years since I dealt with that changing flute market.)

Wood Wind and Brass Wind might be the best place to ask questions online. When I purchased a clarinet for my son years ago I was given very clear advice which helped me in my decision making.

Good luck to you!
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

nonpqlolzx wrote:I surfed internet, asked at many forums, but all forums about flutes are dead, or about to be dead :cry:
The only instrument fora that are in healthy state are those most closely connected with old geezers. I suspect everyone else is on facebook.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Reddit has a flute forum, maybe try on there, it's active.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flute/

(I own a Gemeinhardt flute & a Yamaha piccolo.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Well "easiest" doesn't mean the the least expensive Beginners Flute.
I've had a dozen or so keyless Flutes in my Days.
By far and away the easiest Flute to play for me was a McGee Blackwood GLP.
So of course I wound up selling it....bad move :boggle: