practicing by a river

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: practicing by a river

Post by PB+J »

Irony is the primary casualty of consistently good weather. I went to grad school in California and the consistently good weather was corrosive to the spirit. It tended to make one simple minded :)
Last edited by PB+J on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

I guess there's an element of being drawn to what is different - climate included. Simple-minded can have it's attraction when for the last four days the near horizon has been shrouded in low cloud and mist.

I'm consoled by the (badly misquoted) words that English flute playing is influenced by low leaden skies, and unbidden wind and squalls rolling in from the turbulent sea that surrounds us. I'm happy to work toward a version of that in terms of tone. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:I went to grad school in California and the consistently good weather was corrosive to the spirit. I tended to make one simple minded :)
Ohhhh, so maybe that's why they're smiling all the time. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician