Is there a quality plastic Fife?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Geoffrey Ellis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Re: Is there a quality plastic Fife?

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

an seanduine wrote:When I trained as a machinist, I found I had to adjust the cutting geometry for efficient machining of small delrin parts. Threading in particular, especially cross sections of about .375 in.,were especially problematic. The delrin exhibited a lot of 'rebound' due to the 'toughness' of the material. I think a 'scraping' action would have been more effective, but rather that modify the rake of my cutters, I abandonned the project.
My experience making chanters is limited to three or four prototypes. The throat diameters were between .281 in. and .187 in. To successfully ream such bores with accuracy would probably involve hand reaming with very sharp tooling and very little force. Considering all the other hours involved with making all the other parts of a set, I, for one would view such a prospect with apathy.
Other plastics might be more appealing from a machining perspective but I'm not sure about customer acceptance. Woods of various types are well accepted. Even with wood, the reamers could be seized, and are quite 'wiggly' as it is. I used a single reamer method. Even using staged reamers still confronts the narrow bore problem, and demands acute sharpness to maintain the integrity of your designed bore profile. But, don't let me discourage you :)

Bob
I'll definitely second the "sharp tools" advice. I ended up making new reamers for that very reason (and not just for Delrin). I used to use D-profile reamers, but they only have one cutting edge and they produce massive amounts of friction. So instead I manufactured 4-flute reamers and distributing the cutting load over four different blades really made a difference. Much less friction, sharper edges and of course they don't dull as quickly. Sharp is good.

I had heard similar observations about Delrin on a visit to the Practical Machinist forum. I've been fortunate so far because I do cut threads in Delrin for my Boehm headjoints (I have developed a threaded metal tenon that screws into a Delrin-lined, threaded socket on the headjoint, obviating the need for glues). Basically a removable tenon. There was a learning curve with the Delrin, for sure, but it's such a versatile material I find all sorts of applications for it (I also use it for bore rings on some of my wooden flutes when they need reinforcement around sockets).
paddler

Post by paddler »

When machining Delrin you need to keep the speed down as well as have sharp tools with plenty of rake. I found that it is very easy to build
up enough heat that the Delrin gets soft, and then doesn't cut properly, which compounds the problem further. It has a fairly low melting point.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

paddler wrote:When machining Delrin you need to keep the speed down as well as have sharp tools with plenty of rake. I found that it is very easy to build
up enough heat that the Delrin gets soft, and then doesn't cut properly, which compounds the problem further. It has a fairly low melting point.
Amen. I drill at half speed and I've developed some "pecking" techniques which reduce heat. First time I drilled Delrin I melted it. What a mess!
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

So would it be viable to make a Revolutionary War or Civil War looking Fife out of "plastic" if the hair-splitting differences between Acetal and Derlin were considered....

https://www.aiplastics.com/blog/acetal-or-delrin/
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

MichaelRS wrote:So would it be viable to make a Revolutionary War or Civil War looking Fife out of "plastic" if the hair-splitting differences between Acetal and Derlin were considered....

https://www.aiplastics.com/blog/acetal-or-delrin/
For most practical purposes Acetal and Delrin are the same. Delrin is slightly harder. Both are good. We use Delrin and Acetal for harpsichord plectra, as an aside.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Steve Bliven wrote:Perhaps Peeler Fifes acrylic resin instruments (scroll down), especially if you like bright colors...

Or maybe these

Best wishes.

Steve
What Steve said. I have one of Ron Peeler's fife. Fabulous. I have the model F with modern tuning as opposed to the historica military fife tuning.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

jiminos wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:Perhaps Peeler Fifes acrylic resin instruments (scroll down), especially if you like bright colors...

Or maybe these

Best wishes.

Steve
What Steve said. I have one of Ron Peeler's fife. Fabulous. I have the model F with modern tuning as opposed to the historica military fife tuning.
I'm sorry, could you clear that up? You have one of those acrylic resin fiefs and you have a Model F that Ed Boyle touts?
matthewnoell

Post by matthewnoell »

I know that Skip Healy made a delrin fife for one of the members of the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. It have played on it and it played well. I would prefer Skip’s fife to a fife from Ron Peeler, if price is not an issue. Both are my friend.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

jiminos wrote:Perhaps Peeler Fifes acrylic resin instruments (scroll down), especially if you like bright colors...

Best wishes.

Steve
Oh I like the look of those. I wonder if there is similar made in the UK...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Curious what material plastic fifes would have been made of in the 1970s?
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Sooo.... does anyone KNOW if those acrylic fiefs from Peeler play pretty much like a high-grade wood ones?
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Now, the apeal for me is that a fife would allow me to practice my flute embouchure, but with a smaller instrument that I could take anywhere. Is fife embouchure similar to that of flute?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

AuLoS303 wrote:Now, the apeal for me is that a fife would allow me to practice my flute embouchure, but with a smaller instrument that I could take anywhere. Is fife embouchure similar to that of flute?
I find playing a Fife/piccolo improved my flute embiuchure. You really have to tighten your embiuchure on these small flutes.

Eric
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Jayhawk wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:Now, the apeal for me is that a fife would allow me to practice my flute embouchure, but with a smaller instrument that I could take anywhere. Is fife embouchure similar to that of flute?
I find playing a Fife/piccolo improved my flute embiuchure. You really have to tighten your embiuchure on these small flutes.

Eric
Thanks Eric, I think one would be a handy thing to have for practice.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I originally bought a Dixon ABS high D piccolo, (when I first bought my one piece low D flute from Dixon), it helped with my embouchure, at about £14, it might be worth thinking about.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.