Rudall & Rose on DoneDeal

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall & Rose on DoneDeal

Post by Steampacket »

There's a Rudall & Rose eight key for sale on DoneDeal. The No.15 Piazza, Covent Garden address indicates that the serial number is probably 1291 (the visible part of the serial number 291). Head joint, barrel crack, and a block repair by Eamonn Cotter. Original box with signed certificate sans serial number. Looks nice except for the corked joints and white key pads. Only €4250 - location: Omagh, Tyrone.

https://www.donedeal.ie/brassandwind-fo ... e/20860593
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Rudall & Rose on DoneDeal

Post by kkrell »

I see it is from our well-known flute player Paul McGlinchey, who has a track on Wooden Flute Obsession 3 ( http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO3_CD.htm ), though not on that flute.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Lovely, maybe it is 291x (and x could be a 7) as it is much in the style of their 3000 serie.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think it has to be in the late 2xxxs as it has a certificate and "claw" low C#/C keys, neither of which features appeared in the 1xxxs. Also, I think in the photos one can clearly see there's no number stamp preceding the 2, but one cannot see in any of them what's after the 1.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Steampacket read your description for #2947! Could be.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, Jem, Flutesoftheforest, Radcliff, I had it wrong, you're right. It belongs in the 2000 series, namely no. 2947 which is already in the register. I'll correct the register at once and remove no. 1291.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Sorry, we love RR too much and we rush on every details! :D
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Sorry, we love RR too much and we rush on every details! :D Radcliff
Yes, I completely understand :thumbsup: I get very excited when a "new" Rudall simple system flute turns up I didn't know about. In this case I didn't check to see if I already knew.

I regularly play two R&R flutes made in the early 1840's and it's a strange feeling to think that these Rudall were made and playing music before Lord Franklin sailed to try and find a North-West passage, when Americans still thought it was normal to own slaves, Japan was still closed to foreigners, Britain was kicked out of Afghanistan, and before the great famine in Ireland.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steampacket wrote:Yes, I completely understand I get very excited when a "new" Rudall simple system flute turns up I didn't know about.
I wonder if you have mine? Do you have a link to your list so I can check?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks. I'll check out mine.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

must have restored the case as well. The original photo i have in the RudallRose Catalogue when it first sold shows the case to be mauled up a bit on the sides.
added: just spoke w/ Paul and he, did, put it back together. Good to know.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I see this Rudall hasn't sold yet. The price €4250 seems steep for this Rudall as the flute looks rough cosmetically with the un-Rudall like F-block repair, the corked tenons, the ugly pads. Perhaps it is a great player though, and cosmetic details can be easy fixed? I assume the asking price is negotiable.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Just to say the the asking price for the Rudall & Rose on DoneDeal is now €3500 not €4250. The seller, Paul McGlinchey, is a brilliant flute player by the way, check out "Boys of the town" and "Unearthed"
http://www.flutemcglinchey.com/music.html