It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:17 am 

Season's greetings everyone. :) I have uploaded a sound sample of my Simpson Boxwood flute onto Soundcloud. Please follow the link below.

https://soundcloud.com/user-69701534/si ... wood-flute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:06 pm 

Just out of curiosity what are the tonal differenced between boxwood and let's say Blackwood. It's very hard for me to hear the differences unless I play the flute in person and I have never seen a boxwood flute at a session.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:13 am 

Generally, Boxwood flutes have a more mellow sound than instruments made out of Blackwood or Cocuswood. It may be the lighter density or slightly more porous nature of Boxwood, whatever it is, there is definitely a perceptible difference in tonality. They are a little bit thinner on the ground, especially antique examples with larger tone holes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:15 pm 

The two flutes I play fit this divide; one is a modern blackwood (Lehart), the other a c.1820's boxwood. There is a big difference in these flutes. I can only attempt the impossibility of putting tone into words and describe that the boxwood flute has a more 'airy', 'open' sound, though still with plenty of volume.

But how much is down to the wood or due to other features I'm not qualified to say. The modern flute has a lined head, the boxwood doesn't; the modern flute has largish holes, the boxwood is a Nicholson-style 'improved' that has an embouchure hole and 4 and 5 holes that are larger than are typical in many other flutes of that period.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:38 am 

mendipman, you are quite right to observe that a lot of Boxwood flutes are often constructed in a different manner to Blackwood & Cocus flutes, as Boxwood flutes typically have smaller embouchures and toneholes. Either way, Boxwood flutes certainly have their own distinctive sound. I believe Boxwood Nicholson Improved flutes are very rare, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could say more about your instrument. I have played a couple of Nicholson's Improved flutes (both large and small holed models in Cocus and Ebony) and have always been incredibly impressed by them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 am 

My boxwood flute is one of those made for Clementi & Co, London with the approval of Nicholson and marked 'Improved' under the maker's stamp. These are not so uncommon, though I'm very fortunate that mine is in perfect condition, no cracks or warps or other issues. In their day these flutes were not at the expensive end of Clementi's catalogue, but do still play and sound beautiful.

Comparing this flute with earlier examples by the same maker and other companies it is easily noticeable that the embouchure 2,4 and 5 holes are all of increased size. The joint design are simple turned style, with the strength at the tenons deriving from the bulbous shape at the joints.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:21 am 

mendipman wrote:
My boxwood flute is one of those made for Clementi & Co, London with the approval of Nicholson and marked 'Improved' under the maker's stamp.

Oh, that's interesting. I used to have one with similar feautures. Can you add a picture?
I never tought that "'Improved' could be related to Nicholson. The one I owned had "Patent" too under the main stamp.