Upgrading from wood to polymer?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vonmasgaau
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm looking for great and valuable information about flute makers, as I'm about to purchase a simple system flute and there are too many options and I have a relatively limited budget.

Re: Upgrading from wood to polymer?

Post by vonmasgaau »

Loren wrote:Considering the wood your flute is made of, you can expect more cracks, so you might factor this into your decision.
Hi Loren, thank you for your advice, not a happy one indeed, but actually a good one. Have you had former experiences with this wood?

Many local flute makers started to use this wood some years ago due to the high prices of Blackwood and the increasing difficulty to import leading the use of local hardwoods. I've no issue with my pipes, but are bellows blown...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't know if there are discounted duties between Brazil and Argentina, but Garry Somers is in Brazil and makes polymer flutes that have an excellent reputation and are also in your price range. I haven't played one, so can't directly vouch for them.

http://www.somers-flutes.com
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've played the rudall and heard it played. It's a good flute.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

vonmasgaau wrote:
Loren wrote:Considering the wood your flute is made of, you can expect more cracks, so you might factor this into your decision.
Hi Loren, thank you for your advice, not a happy one indeed, but actually a good one. Have you had former experiences with this wood?

Many local flute makers started to use this wood some years ago due to the high prices of Blackwood and the increasing difficulty to import leading the use of local hardwoods. I've no issue with my pipes, but are bellows blown...
Yes, I used to work at a well known recorder and flutemaking shop that has over 60 years experience producing woodwinds. As you can imagine, they’ve learned a thing or two about woods over the years, and one of those things is that Lignum Vitae (Guayacan) always cracks when used for mouth blown instruments like flutes and recorders. Yes, it may be ok in use for bellows blown instruments. There are several woods like this, Thai boxwood is another example - seems like it would be a great substitute for European Boxwood in flute/whistle/recorder making, but once it cracks over time.

Lots of makers try Lignum Vitae, but eventually they quit using it, if cracked instruments bother them. Some makers just don’t care though and simply say “well that’s wood for you, cracks happen” :swear: