Flute in Breton music

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute in Breton music

Post by Thalatta »

Hi, question: would it be fair to say that the Breton flute-makers (Morvan, Lehart, Lebeuf...) are making "Irish" flutes based on the English simple-systems (Rudall, and so on, as they do acknowledge on their websites) BECAUSE of developments in Irish music and the influence of the use of the flute in Irish music? I know Veillon was inspired to play by the use of the flute in Irish music in the 70s. But I'd just like to check...

It may not be fair to say that, so if anyone has any info on that, I'd much appreciate. Thanks.
Thalatta
Thalatta

Re: Flute in Breton music

Post by Thalatta »

No Breton music scholars, amateurs, or IMHO-ers out there?
Thalatta
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I don't think they're making them (only) to reach a possibly larger market of players of Irish Tradiitonal Music. I think it has come about because of the needs of Breton music. See examples as in Bro Dreger VIII : Flûte traversière en Trégor
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks for this! There are lots of really great Breton flute players right now. And the music is changing and developing.
Thalatta
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

Flute is still a quite new instrument in breton music, it really started at the end of 80's with Jean-Michel Veillon and a few other players. And in the meantime irish music was already played in Brittany, with of course a few flute players whose flutes were coming from Ireland, England, Germany...looking for a flute and someone who could give advices about this instrument was not so easy in the 80's.
Jil Lehart was the first flute maker in Brittany, he developped his flute making in the 90's with the help of JM Veillon. And as flute playing was growing in breton music (but not as much as in irish music), irish music was growing too in Brittany.
So that contributed to the emergence of several flute makers for flute players who play both breton and irish music. How many are they now ? Lehart, Morvan, Jezequel, Bonamy (in Ireland actually), Lesouef, Jourdan, Le Bot, Le Coant. They're all passionated with the instrument and their job.
Do they know (and do they care ?) if they're selling more flutes to musicians who play irish, breton or both ? And how many abroad ? I have no idea but probably most of the players in Brittany are playing or have played both repertoires. The difference may be that there are really a lot of irish music sessions in Brittany, and only a few breton music sessions. And there are not so many breton bands with flute players.
Flute playing and making developped too because Brittany is very close to Ireland and that many breton musicians crossed the sea to learn and play irish music. And then brought it back home.
I hope my frenglish is not too bad. :wink:
Andro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Bretagne appears to be the flute making capital of the world. Such an amazing cluster of very excellent makers there, in a tiny area. Fascinating, considering, as is said, that flute is newish to Breton music. It must be due to all that Breton cider. :)
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks for the comments above, this is what I was asking. That's great. I think there are some really interesting musicians in Bretagne. The music is different too, from Irish music. With some medieval mélodies and rhythms it seems.
Thalatta