Advice for a keyed C flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dres
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in simple system flutes. I am enthusiastic in learn to improve my playing and knowledge.

Advice for a keyed C flute

Post by dres »

Hi,

Although I have followed in the past some topics in this forum this is my first post.
I wonder if someone can give me advice to a Low C keyed flute. I had ordered a Mike Grinter flute few months ago. Unfortunately, the recent and sad news about his pass away force me to search other instrument.
I have seen websites from many flutemakers, but it is not easy to find fully chromatic C flutes in their prices lists or sound samples. I suppose that this flutes have a limited market. For example, I liked the sound of the Solen Lesouef' flute. Other advices?

My preferences:
At least 6 keys, but I prefer 8 keys. That is because I play tunes from Galicia in C that use the sensible note (B) of the lower scale down the first flute octave.
Grenadilla or mopane.

Thanks in advance,
Andrés

P.S: Apologies for my English.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: Advice for a keyed C flute

Post by Andro »

Hi dres,

I am relative beginner also wanting an 8 key instrument to complement my keyless, and for other literature apart from ITM. I live in the same state of Australia where Mike Grinter was, quite close, but I never got to meet him. A very sad passing of a maker. Terry McGee here in Australia makes very fine flutes, but no longer 8 key models.

Others will know more than I, but you could look at Ormiston flutes, and Maurice Reviol in New Zealand and Solen Lesouf as you say, and Windward Flutes in Nova Scotia. Not every site is going to have soundfiles, and you can't tell much from them anyway because of so many audio recording variables, such as people using phones to record: useless.

You may want to look up Arthur Haswell in England. He repairs and sells Rudall originals and has a fine reputation. There's one there now from the 1830's with 11 keys, with a B flat footjoint.

Possibly a nicely restored Rudall original may be the answer?

There are many very learned experts here who I am sure will guide us both!
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I have an 8-key blackwood flute in C from Chris Wilkes; my impression at the time was that Wilkes and Grinter were pretty much the only choices available if you wanted 8 keys on a C flute but I could be wrong. There are more options available if you want 6 keys instead of 8. It does look like Solen is making 8-keyed C flutes so if you like the sound of her flutes you might as well go for it.
dres
Tell us something.: I am interested in simple system flutes. I am enthusiastic in learn to improve my playing and knowledge.

Post by dres »

Thanks for your answer, Andro.
I've probably explained myself badly. I did not mean 8 keyed flutes whose the note with all the six holes covered is a D and the lowest note of the first key is a C (D flute). I mean flutes that the note with all the holes covered is a C, and the first key (8 keys) is a Bb. I know that Rudall & Rose made D flutes with ten keys up to Sib. But it's not what I'm looking for.
Many flutemakers make C flutes but they are usually keyless.
bradhurley wrote:I have an 8-key blackwood flute in C from Chris Wilkes; my impression at the time was that Wilkes and Grinter were pretty much the only choices available if you wanted 8 keys on a C flute but I could be wrong. There are more options available if you want 6 keys instead of 8. It does look like Solen is making 8-keyed C flutes so if you like the sound of her flutes you might as well go for it.
Thanks. Wilkes was also an option, but I saw on his website that the waiting time is about 10 years. I do not know if it's entirely real.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

You might try John Gallagher here - his flutes are on a par (or maybe even a birdie!) with Olwell, Wilkes, etc...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

I vote also for Solen Lesouef flute. I have her C keyless flute , and my only regret that i didn't order 6 keyed version.
Great flute with rich and strong tone.
Marin
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

dres wrote: Thanks. Wilkes was also an option, but I saw on his website that the waiting time is about 10 years. I do not know if it's entirely real.
More likely 12 years than 10, but I don't have any reliable current information on Chris's waiting list. I waited about 10 years for mine (totally worth it of course, but I know it's a long time). You can always hope that someone will put one up for sale eventually.
dres

Post by dres »

Grateful for your last replies
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Hi,

Geert Lejeune makes C flutes with different bores, a large regular bore, and a 19mm bore that is like the D flutes he's making. I have the large bore version, it's a great player.

Michel
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Hi dres,

Ah, so you want a C flute with 8 keys, not a D flute. Sounds like you are going to have to get a custom made instrument from one of the makers that do 6-8 keys. I don't think what you are after is a standard off the shelf model for makers in general. Hence your question to begin with, I suppose.