Where can I get a plastic Fife "cheater"?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Where can I get a plastic Fife "cheater"?

Post by MichaelRS »

I switched to the tin whistle some years ago, when I joined this forum, because I could not get sound one out of the big black plastic Fife that everyone told me I needed to get.
But then I came across this video, below, that showed such a Fife with a cheater. But I have not been able to find the cheater online. Can somebody tell me where I need to look, because I still have the plastic Fife and maybe I'd like to give it a try again help.

Other than that, is there a practice Fife that is easiER than the style in the video to get a sound out of. Yes, I know that "easy" is a relative term when it comes to flute like instruments. That's why I capitalize the ER on easier

Years ago somebody told me that a real Fife was easier than that practice thing, but I didn't want to spend a hundred and something dollars on a real instrument I may or may not have any talent for, if I could get the feel for that talent on something a little less expensive.
Thanks

https://youtu.be/m3AQ3zEHs0Y
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Where can I get a plastic Fife "cheater"?

Post by fatmac »

You really don't need one of those. :)

I know it can be a little bit frustrating at the start, but just practice blowing across a bottle, then try it on your fife/flute/piccolo embouchure hole, don't try to play any notes until you have a basic understanding of how to produce a tone.

I found a video of a flute player who showed how to locate the edge of the embouchure hole just under the red part of your lip, that helped me to start getting more consistent results - it just takes practice.

I couldn't play any but the upper notes on my low 'D' ABS one piece flute when I first got it, every time I tried to get the lower notes, I would lose my embouchure, but after a bit of practice, I can almost play a tune on it now. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.