Any experience with flute/whistle hybrids?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Any experience with flute/whistle hybrids?

Post by MichaelRS »

I was wondering if any of you flautist out there have had any experience with those "plastic" whistle/flute hybrids, the ones with the interchangeable whistle/flute or whistle/piccolo heads.
I'm talking about the ones that are supposed to be of some decent quality, like Dixons (I can't think of others off the top of my head) for around the $100 mark.
In particular what is the quality of the sound like when they are in the flute or Piccolo mode?
Thanks
Last edited by MichaelRS on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Any experience with flute/whistle hybrids?

Post by fatmac »

I too, have wondered about them......
(I have the one piece ABS in both whistle & piccolo. )

Any one using them?
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

MichaelRS wrote:I was wondering if any of you flautist out there have had any experience with those "plastic" can whistle/flute hybrids, the ones with the interchangeable whistle/flute or whistle/piccolo heads.
I'm talking about the ones that are supposed to be of some decent quality, like Dixons (I can't think of others off the top of my head) for around the $100 mark.
In particular what is the quality of the sound like when they are in the flute or Piccolo mode?
Thanks
I've played a few, and while some of them have been quite clever, I really don't think there's a good way to make one of those that functions equally well. Just get a "folk piccolo" if you want one, or a whistle, or both. The hybrid ones can be fun to play around with but I can't see them adding much to a session...
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

For years people have been wanting me to come up with a whistle head joint for my Folk Flutes, especially the smaller handed ones. Theoretically possible but the tradeoffs are huge. Better to have simply one of each. A good analogy is sticking a clarinet mouthpiece on a sax and expecting it to sound like a clarinet. The acoustical systems are simply different, though similar. But that difference makes the rendering hard to reach in a way that works really well, scaling-wise, bore-wise etc.

Casey
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Chris Abell has made a low-whistle mouthpiece for one of his wooden Boehm-system flutes, probably just as an experiment/prototype and not for production; I've seen a photo of him playing it but haven't heard it in person.