Need help: concerning Sam Murray flutes and cork position

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
p51baby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Need help: concerning Sam Murray flutes and cork position

Post by p51baby »

So l’m in a bit of a pickle. The other month I was trying to help a friend out by cleaning and oiling his Sam Murray flute which was not really maintained. I have a cork stick that helps adjust my Windward flute to the base cork position and thought I could use that to position the cork on the Sam Murray flute to make it sound better. Well, now it doesn’t really have the same tone and is not to his liking. Feeling rather bad, is there any way I can contact Sam Murray or if anyone know the distance in millimeters from the cork to the embouchure hole on a Murray flute? The road to ruin is paved with good intentions! :oops:

Cheers,

Melany
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Need help: concerning Sam Murray flutes and cork positio

Post by jemtheflute »

There isn't a definitive answer to that. What is the setting currently from your Windward indicator rod? I've overhauled several Murray flutes and stopper position hasn't been unusual. I'd set it at 20 or 21mm from the embouchure centre and test the octave intonation and low end tone/response. In the end it's not a big deal, just a faff. If my suggestion doesn't sort it, just keep pushing it too and fro until you get it where the owner likes the response.

Just a thought, though. Do a suck test on the head and make sure that your adjustments haven't caused the cork to stop sealing properly.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Andro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

My Sam Murray keyless Blackwood flute, brand new, is sitting at 20mm, for what it's worth.

Many people think Sam Murray has retired, but I had an email from McNeela Music recently to say that he is still working and making. But I understand it is difficult if not impossible to contact Sam directly.

I am compelled to say that my Murray keyless blackwood is simply divine, with the most magnificent tone.

Andrew
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

jemtheflute wrote:There isn't a definitive answer to that. What is the setting currently from your Windward indicator rod? I've overhauled several Murray flutes and stopper position hasn't been unusual. I'd set it at 20 or 21mm from the embouchure centre and test the octave intonation and low end tone/response. In the end it's not a big deal, just a faff. If my suggestion doesn't sort it, just keep pushing it too and fro until you get it where the owner likes the response.

Just a thought, though. Do a suck test on the head and make sure that your adjustments haven't caused the cork to stop sealing properly.
Hi Jem,

Thanks for the reponse. For the Windward flute from the center of the embouchure hole to the cork it’s 18-19 mm. So I’ll do a bit of adjustment the next time we meet. And thank you for the suggestion about the suck test too.

I believe this Murray flute has been basically untouched since bought but it’s within the 10-15 year range with nothing really done till I tweaked it.

And Andro, thanks for the brand new measurement too.

Cheers.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

From Terry McGee's website:

"The "correct" stopper distance is one diameter of the head bore
Close, but not the complete story. The conventional stopper distance is one diameter of the head bore - about 19mm for the typical conical flute. But recognise it is a compromise, not a golden rule. A shorter distance - typically about 16mm - will enhance the third octave at the expense of the bottom octave. A greater distance - up to about 23mm - will enhance the bottom notes, at the risk of driving the top of the 2nd octave flat, and making the third octave hard to play and very flat. For Irish music, I recommend increasing the stopper distance until you find the highest note you normally play starts to tend flat."
"Luck is important"