"Never look a gift horse in the mouth" True story.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fildafluter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth" True story.

Post by Fildafluter »

I was this last week trying to locate where I stashed some Texas Bamboo planning to again dabble in making a few flutes.

But as fate steps into one's life things sometimes do not work out, so I put the project in 'do later bin'.

Then reflecting on events of over half a century ago, when I was a teenager, I recall one of my most regretted flute decisions.

My family had folks stay with us who needed good food and a happy home. Among them a older fellow who is an Irish Flautist, and not only that but connected to a well known recording star on the same instrument in those years. After some time the man went on his way, but left in a common area cupboard a black-wood simple Irish flute of some parts. Too, the man knowing my musical bent went to some lengths to point me at the flute. But I was into R&R and that sort of thing so I, idiot that i am, passed it up.

I recall seeing it there for decades after, and here's the kicker the cupboard still exists with the same stuff in it.
However I don't want to tip my hand to the current family member as to what is in this cupboard, because there is absolutely no way that I would get a second chance to get my hands on the flute. Never mind that it probably is long in need of renovation and the like, just its enormous historic connections etc.

Still, on my Student Irish flute, tootling away on simple old gems such as 'The Bird In The Bush', 'The Hunter's Purse', 'Down The Broom', 'The Gatehouse Maid', even badly, brings back to me the aroma of Co. Roscommon Ireland, and those magnificent Flautists that thrive there. Not to forget my lifetime flute heroes, Patsy Hanly, John Wynn, Tommy Guihan, to name just some of them, and OC the mighty Josie McDermott (RIP).

Moral of the story is, when it is too good to be true, grab it with every ounce of strength you can muster, and never look a gift horse in the mouth, because, like me, you will live to regret it!
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/