Oiling the bore of an African Blackwood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jjdura
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a simple system flute (Irish flute) player, and I have been following the flute discussions for some time. Now I would like to participate more fully. I also have a passing interest in the tin whistle. Mostly flute, though.

Re: Oiling the bore of an African Blackwood flute

Post by jjdura »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Sam Murray recommended linseed oil, a bit to my surprise. But only very occasionally and when it was really needed. Other makers always recommended almond oil to me.
Linseed oil is the oil is the flax plant, the unboiled version is marketed usually as flaxseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is another story because it is generally full of additives to make it quicker drying and as a result unsuitable for flute bores. Flaxseed oil is ok, but a bit thick for my taste.

John
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

This topic continues to be of great interest. The care sheet from McNeela specifally for the Murray flute advises not to oil the Murray Blackwood flute. But McNeela have a Blackwood flute of their own almost identical and the care instructions in the web page say:
Caring for your McNeela African Blackwood flute

Dry your flute thoroughly after playing to prevent trapped moisture distorting and warping the wood. Always take it apart after playing and when storing, this takes pressure off the tenons. Oil the bore regularly to prevent from drying out but be careful not to over-oil it. Use cork grease on the cork lapping to allow for ease of disassembling. Never pull when disassembling, rather twist each part backwards and forwards and gently coax it off. Try to avoid very dry conditions and do not leave the flute in direct sunlight or near a source of heat. Always warm up before play.
I cannot see that a Murray flute would be any different in this regard. Seems somewhat of a contradiction.

Anyway, I reckon light oiling is beneficial.

Amusingly, it's 100% humidity here today in Melbourne, for our Melbourne Cup Horse Race, which is a grand public holiday.
JaneJ
Tell us something.: Hi, been a flute player for many years. Started playing in a bush orchestra recently and now wanting to switch from a boehm to a blackwood irish flute and think this site will be handy for tips etc.

Post by JaneJ »

I'm also interested to hear members' experiences with grapeseed oil. I've just purchased a Mcneela keyless blackwood along with the maintenance kit containing grapeseed oil. I'm glad to hear your flute was delivered safe and sound Andro as I'm also in Melbourne. Can I ask, how long did it take to arrive?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

jemtheflute wrote:A new Sam Murray flute? I was under the impression Sam had stopped making a while ago???
From an email today from McNeela...
"I’d also like to address rumours of Sam Murray’s alleged retirement. I’m happy to tell you that he's not retired and is back making supreme flutes for McNeela Instruments. I’m very lucky to have him! If you’re interested in acquiring a Sam Murray flute just give me a buzz on +353 1 8322432"

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.