Cork fitters near Stockport

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sfmans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Cork fitters near Stockport

Post by sfmans »

Hi all

The cork on one of my flute joints needs replacing and it’s not a job I fancy tackling myself.

Any recommendations for someone who would recork a wooden flute in the Stockport / Manchester / Derbyshire area of the UK?

TIA

Steve
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Cork fitters near Stockport

Post by Jon C. »

Switch to thread!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Any competent mainstream woodwind tech can do this - they do it on clarinets and oboes all the time. If you're stuck, I'm in Wrexham, N. Wales, about an hour away, and I can do it. If the flute would have been thread-lapped originally, I'd recommend reverting to that, which I can also do.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Normski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Normski »

John Clarke has a workshop on top floor of Johnny Roadhouse shop on Oxford Rd in Manchester. He's an excellent technician.
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

You could try Eddie at Woodwind & Co in Irlam, near Manchester. I would check their website to see if they are still taking on work, but they have been in business for ever!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Totally OT this ...

... but I keep reading this title as "Stock fitters near Cork"

I think I need a new brain ...

:boggle:
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

The only problem with going to Johnny Roadhouse is the Hobgoblin shop, which has a dangerous effect on my credit card ... thanks all!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

benhall.1 wrote:I think I need a new brain ...
Should this be in the UIE forum?

Best wishes

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I think I need a new brain ...
Should this be in the UIE forum?

Best wishes

Steve
As a 'WTB'? Possibly. Or maybe even a 'WTT'. In the latter case, though, I think I'd need to include too much of a cash incentive.