WTB Bb KEYED flute second hand (new or antique)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB Bb KEYED flute second hand (new or antique)

Post by Thalatta »

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows how much a second-hand low Bb KEYED flute costs? Am interested in both antiques (I've seen some lovely Rudall and some lovely Hawkes models - I think Jem has one?) and new (but used) Bb keyed flutes. Anyone know?
Thalatta
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: WTB Bb KEYED flute second hand (new or antique)

Post by jemtheflute »

Original R&Rs, forget it - only 3 (of 11) known ones not in museums, two 8-key, one 6-key. Owner of the latter is secret. Mine and Patsy Moloney's won't be going anywhere until we're past playing. And then you're talking serious money, even in today's depressed market. I was very, very, very lucky to get and be able to take an exceptional opportunity to get mine.

Hawkes and Rudall Carte and Potter et al made Bb "bass" band flutes in the very late C19th and 1st third C20th, both conical and cylinder bodied, but SFAIK they are all High Pitch and won't do well, if at all, for use at A440. Can be grand sounding and a pleasure to possess, mind. I've not seen any sold for quite a while, so have no idea of current interest/prices.

Seriously, if you want a keyed Low Bb in R&R style, you're best off looking for a Grinter or Wilkes 2nd hand. For prices from other makers, check their websites. Geert Lejeune and Solen Lesouef as well as Gilles Lehart would be good places to start.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

But, but, but, I just want... ONE! Sniff. But thanks for your answer Jem, and at least we know those R&Rs are being looked after!

I Believe Matt Molloy played a Hawkes Bb on Shadows of Stone. Does anyone have or has anyone seen a Hawkes Bb?
Thalatta
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Tom Abei has some Bb flute models here: http://www.aebi-flutes.com/index.php/en/bb-flute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Matt's Hawkes is/was a Bb bass band flute made for High Pitch. Hammy recently made a comment on FB about his efforts to repitch/retune it for Matt back when.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

John Gallagher also makes keyed Bb (and B) flutes.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Matt Molloy no longer performs with the Hawkes Bb. Instead he uses a 5 keyed Bb flute that I made back in 2004-2005. Here is an image of it on my website: http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/detail_photo_low.php

I still make these - including an affordable 3 piece "Folk Flute" version.

Casey
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Casey—

You might want to check the caption of the third image down from the top. Doesn't look much like blackwood—suspect typo.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Hello Casey, thanks for that link. I wonder do you have any clearer photos of that keyed Bb flute that you made for Matt Molloy? And the others look really nice indeed.
Thalatta
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Probably - buried in my archives. Might be next week as I am heading away on a well-deserved holiday in a few days, having just sent out the results of the last 3 months of flute making this month.

It was really fun spending a day with Matt fitting his hands to the keys, while he was enjoying playing one of the "shop flutes" that I brought along for him to see at his request. My friend Paul who came along (we 3 had lunch at Paul's brother's restaurant above Pike Place) made a nice recording of this for me so I could savor it later. I should get permission from Matt to post it and will ask him the next time he's in town.

Casey
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I have a Tom Aebi Bb flute (6 pin-mounted keys) that I would consider selling; if interested send me a PM. You can hear it (multitracked) here: https://soundcloud.com/bradhurley/lament
PierreCad
Tell us something.: I have a flute for sale and I'm interested in wooden flutes. So i'll let people know about my flute on this page and be checking posts about flutes from time to time.

Post by PierreCad »

hi,

i was wondering if you were still looking for a Bb flute?
I want to sell mine, it's a lehart with 6 keys (pin-mounted).

If you're still interested I can send you recordings and we can talk about it then.

Pierre
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've a Wilkes 6key that I might part with, blackwood, wide bands.

Or a keyless, slideless Olwell Bb if anyone is hunting for one.

PM me
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

bradhurley wrote:I have a Tom Aebi Bb flute (6 pin-mounted keys) that I would consider selling; if interested send me a PM. You can hear it (multitracked) here: https://soundcloud.com/bradhurley/lament
Hi Brad,
did Tom provide the flute with keys initially or was it "upgraded" later?
Best,

Moritz
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

brotherwind wrote:
bradhurley wrote:I have a Tom Aebi Bb flute (6 pin-mounted keys) that I would consider selling; if interested send me a PM.
Hi Brad,
did Tom provide the flute with keys initially or was it "upgraded" later?
Tricky question to answer: when I ordered the flute, he said he had a body already mostly made in his shop and would just have to add the keys to it. So it's not like I first bought a keyless and then asked him to add the keys, but in the end it's pretty much the same result. Overall the keywork is fine although I'm not very happy with the short F-natural key (talking as if it were a D flute). The axle seems longer than necessary, putting the right-hand pin quite close to the bottom tone hole, so it can feel in the way at first until you get used to it.

The other issue I have with the flute is the tuning: Tom has set up the tuning on his Bb flutes so they play a major scale well in tune, in contrast to the approach used by many other makers where the seventh is a bit (or a lot) flat. I like the fact that I can play that seventh without having to lip up or open the long C key, but on the other hand it means I have to use a different fingering for the flatted seventh (C-nat on a D flute) than what I'm used to, which is a hard adjustment for me. The alternative tuning approach also appears to make the left-hand notes a bit weak in comparison to the right-hand notes, which are very rich and full.

I'm putting all this out there for the sake of transparency; Tom makes great flutes of course but this one just doesn't suit me. It would probably be perfect for someone who plays the C natural using the long C-nat key in both octaves.