My HF Meyer flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

My HF Meyer flute

Post by Jon C. »

Haven’t posted flute photos for a while.
This is my HF Meyer flute made in Hamburg, Germany.
The most copied flute, this is one of the originals. They usaully have ivory heads, but this is one of those rare nes that has a wooden head. It is made from Madagascar Rosewood.
These flute have a very loud but mellow tone.
Even have the original case and grease pot, and a little compartment with extra pads!

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
tstermitz

Re: My HF Meyer flute

Post by tstermitz »

Question Jon:

How do you know it's Madagascar Rosewood?

Is that something that Meyer flutes are known for, or are you able to identify it as such. If so, what are the clues?
Guilleflute
Tell us something.: I am Böhm flute player but I play irish flute as well since one year.

I am also whistle player and maker. I'd like to share opinions about whistles and learn from some other people experiences.

Post by Guilleflute »

tstermitz wrote:Question Jon:

How do you know it's Madagascar Rosewood?

Is that something that Meyer flutes are known for, or are you able to identify it as such. If so, what are the clues?
keywork (shape, pillar mounted, crossed G#, configuration), holes in right hand (you really need to use fnat key when you are playing F sharp in order to get the note in tune), the crown on the headjoint, the finishing at the bottom of the flute...

I have another "nach Meyer" (after Meyer) from 1890's that has a wooden headjoint instead of ivory too.
Guille

Clementi Improved 1830-restored by Chris Wilkes, 8 keys (Cocus wood)
sarton

Post by sarton »

@Guilleflute

What is the relation between the question about the type of wood and your contribution?
Guilleflute
Tell us something.: I am Böhm flute player but I play irish flute as well since one year.

I am also whistle player and maker. I'd like to share opinions about whistles and learn from some other people experiences.

Post by Guilleflute »

sarton wrote:@Guilleflute

What is the relation between the question about the type of wood and your contribution?
I thought there were two questions: 1.- about wood 2.- about particular details or clues to recognise a Meyer or Nach Meyer flute.

So, I was answering to the second one. I can't answer the first one.
Guille

Clementi Improved 1830-restored by Chris Wilkes, 8 keys (Cocus wood)
sarton

Post by sarton »

OK, Thanks!