How to clean tenons

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cheip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello! I am a flute player from Italy, I'm lurking this forum by years, and now I want to register my account. Really, I have a flute to sell, but surely I approve your rules, and I will contribute to the forum to gain the rights to sell something. :^)

How to clean tenons

Post by cheip »

Hi everybody,

I'm in trouble because the tenons of the middle section of my flute collects dirt when it's in its case. The tenons between the second part of the body and the foot does is not so dirty because in the much it's not exposed, but it remains mounted.

How can I clean it? I've tried with a guitar pick, but with "mmmmh..." results.

Photos:
1. Dirty tenon

2. Clean tenon

Thanks in advance for your help!
Gromit

Re: How to clean tenons

Post by Gromit »

I use a matchstick that I sharpen to a small "chisel" shape which just fits into the space between the cork (in my case) and the shoulder of the tenon and carefully ease out the old grease and muck. I wouldn't use any cleaning fluid on it.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I use a q-tip. What ever dirt is in there comes off with the extra grease that is removed.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I usually use a fingernail, with or without cloth over it. If you want to get right into the corner of the tenon rebate from the body outside diameter, something pointy is needed. Even a knife point won't do any harm unless you are far too unnecessarily harsh with your actions!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I use a fingernail, a q-tip, and a folded bit of paper towel or tissue; whatever is handy or whichever I think of. They all work well.