Received my Tipple, wow.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chrisgs
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I played concert flute as a youngster and am taking up the simple system flute for the sake of playing Irish and Scots folk music. I also play a number of stringed instruments but principally the guitar and mandolin.

Received my Tipple, wow.

Post by chrisgs »

In spite of not having blown a transverse flute at all in the better part of two decades, I can get a fairly tolerable tone out of the lower, and about half of the upper, octave. I don't put this up to any particular talent of mine but to the ease of playing designed into Mr. Tipple's work.

Can anyone recommend any ITM flutists and whistlers in St. Louis who teach?
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Received my Tipple, wow.

Post by keithsandra »

I suspect most people who started with a Tipple still have it, even though they may have experimented with an accumulation of other flutes in the meantime. I have 12 flutes now including Olwells and thought I'd whittled my focus down to my MnE RnR and Shannon. But, dagnabbit, after all these years I still go back to my shiny white immediately loud and responsive Tipple. You Tube is full of expert Breton, ITM and Classical music Tipple players. Tipples would be even more popular if they didn't shake buyers' confidence by being priced at the bottom of the flute market along with the barely playable stuff.

Best wishes, Keith.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

chrisgs wrote: Can anyone recommend any ITM flutists and whistlers in St. Louis who teach?
Mark your calendar for the St. Louis Tionol (https://www.tionol.org). Apart from that, once you have 3 posts you could try sending Hack with a Flute a private message; I believe he lives in St. Louis, he may have some recommendations.
awildman

Post by awildman »

The Gannons run a music school there, AFAIK. They have been slow to answer emails in the past. Probably best to walk in or call.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

I've had at least one Tipple in my kit for over 15 years. I've given a few away, but always kept one around. Always will. They're loud, responsive, articulate... And bomb proof.

I have other flutes. An M&E, a Shannon, a Summers, a Nacht Meier (spelling?) and a Billy Miller. I had a Desi Seery that I miss horribly. Had some Sweethearts and Burns. But... I find that I often reach for the Tipple.

Anyway.. Keep on tooting.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
chrisgs
Tell us something.: I played concert flute as a youngster and am taking up the simple system flute for the sake of playing Irish and Scots folk music. I also play a number of stringed instruments but principally the guitar and mandolin.

Post by chrisgs »

Thanks for the suggestions and replies.

Definitely think I am going to have to employ a piper's grip on the left hand since a more classical grip puts my wrist at a angle it doesn't like.

I look forward to getting some in person instruction. I have no problem learning from "absent teachers"--videos, books, whatnot--but I do want to get some direct coaching to keep from forming any bad habits/techniques.