a flute that hasn't been played for 30 years?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
crubeen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by crubeen »

I've just been told about a flute that might have been lying in an attic for 30 or 40 years unplayed. I've heard that they can get so dry that they will easily crack if you try to play them.

Is there any standard method of getting a long-unplayed flute back into playable condition? Maybe leave it in a water-butt for a week or two?

:smile:
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

I would definitely not try to play the flute as it is. It would almost certainly be unplayable due to drying out and air leaks, not to mention spider webs in the bore. Also if you try to play, you may end up breathing in some very unpleasant, and possibly harmful dust and crud. The best bet would be to get a professional overhaul, including new corks, new headjoint cork, and new pads, as well as several applications of oil. Then break it in the same way as a new flute with limited playing at first and weekly oiling of the bore.

Dave Copley
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've restored some pretty long-forgotten flutes, as much as maybe 75-100 years.
Best method is cleaning and oiling it well, then breaking it in slowly. Make sure the pads work (some will actually respond, although not very well, i'm afraid), so you're probably looking at new pads, too.
And be very, very conscious of cracks at the sockets and tenons. Don't force the parts apart if they're stuck. They'll probably need greasing, too. Check inside for bugs. I've found some pretty nasty crawlies inside some flutes!
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I'm amused! Copely and I must have hit the send button at nearly the same moment last night, with precisely the same advise and warnings! Well, there you have it.
So, David, does that mean I can start making flutes now? :smile:
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

But David, if you start to spend your time making flutes, who will be there to work on all the flutes in need of repair? Also you would have to take the flute-makers vow of poverty and renounce all worldly goods (other than flute-making tools of course).

Dave Copley
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

All worldly goods, Dave? I know firsthand that you have some damn fine soap in that house!

:smile: Jessie
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

ah yes, renouncement....sigh
kidding aside, I don't make flutes precisely because of all the restoration work I do. I'd hate to think all those beautiful old, wonderful flutes will just dry and die. I couldn't stand it!
Some of my newest babies (which will be very hard to part with) include a Rudall, an early Siccama, a very early Pratten, and a Clementi/Nicholson (which I LOVE playing at the moment). Surely David you must hate seeing each of your babies leave the shop, too!