Bb keyless, recommendations?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bb keyless, recommendations?

Post by Thalatta »

Does anyone know how much a Wilkes Bb (keyless) flute might cost?

And does anyone know anything about Jil Lehart Bb flutes? I just heard one played by wonderful Breton flute player Erwan Menguy.

Thanks!
Thalatta
bradhurley

Re: Bb keyless, recommendations?

Post by bradhurley »

The Lehart Bb flutes are excellent value for the money and widely played in Brittany (and elsewhere). I've seen fairly recent videos of Jean-Michel Veillon still playing his Lehart Bb. I don't think you'd have to wait long to get one either.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJ2tgn9bgA

At around 1:40 into the video, the camera drops down to show the other flutes by his side, and you'll see another Lehart there on the left. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that this is his "old scale" (gamme ancienne) flute that Lehart made for him, which I think he uses for playing kas-ha-barh and other tunes in the older scale that feels very Moorish to me.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

I have a Lehart keyless Bb flute. They have a distinctive sound that I really love. I especially like the way they sound in the hands of players such
as Jean-Michel Veillon, Erwan Menguy, etc, of course, but there is something about the design of the flute itself that produces a characteristic
sound that I can notice even when I'm playing it myself. They are pretty big, hefty flutes that require a fairly long finger stretch, but for me at
least (with fairly large hands), its worth it for the way they play.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Contact.html

Standard C & B flat keyless flutes = £1000 = €1118
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And Lehart @ 1120 Euros

Wilkes gives a "current price" but notes that the wait time for a new flute is 10 years or so and it is not clear what the price would be at the time of delivery.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Where is my post?
Casey
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I doubt that you'd have to wait 10 years for a keyless Bb flute from Chris. I think he makes a small number of keyless flutes at the same time so the wait ought to be considerably shorter than 10 years. Best to just contact Chris and ask. His e-mail address is on his website. You'll be getting a great instrument
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Bb is a nice pitch. Here is John Skelton playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbKZ830yEE
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Casey Burns wrote:Bb is a nice pitch. Here is John Skelton playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbKZ830yEE
Is John Skelton playing one of your Bb flutes there, Casey?

I see that while you don't usually discuss or promote them in your participation in the C&F forums, that your website still has the Low Flutes page active. At least you can offer mopane & boxwood, which are not CITES-restricted. From the text, sounds as if these somewhat follow your ergonomic designs to make the reach more comfortable than one might otherwise expect for such a long flute.

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/cat_low.php

I think the OP in this thread is based in the EU, so probably part of why the responses are primarily focused on their local makers, particularly as demonstrated by the Breton players mentioned.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Casey Burns wrote:Where is my post?
Casey
Casey makes a great Bb at a good price and will customize the finger spacing to suit your hands. I have one in boxwood and I have super happy with it; here is me playing it.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I do make them as well as in a Folk Flute-like model. Grey Larsen, Carlos Nunez and Matt Molloy also play these.

That one John is playing is one of my first successful ones that Skip Healy and I voiced together one evening. Circa 2002. I met John in October 2001 at an event Dusty Strings and I hosted called the Flute Symposium. Jean-Michel Veillon was supposed to be there but his travel was interrupted by all the 9/11 business, so he canceled the week before our festival. John stepped in at the last minute, and the flute was part of my thanks for his rescuing us. Engraved on his flute are the words "Mr. Skelton's Weapon of Mass Terror". Grey, Skip Healy and Ralph Sweet were also present.

Casey
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

+1 for a Casey Burns Low Bb Folk flute :) . All the goodness of a well constructed, mellow tone instrument with no extra frills. My family greatly prefers when I practice on mine.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks for your answers, everyone, and for the lovely sound clips. Some wonderful playing and some wonderful flutes.

I have wanted to play a Bb flute since that groundbreaking moment (for me) when I heard Altan's Frankie Kennedy play Dobbin's Flowery Vale...
Thalatta
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Thalatta wrote:

I have wanted to play a Bb flute since that groundbreaking moment (for me) when I heard Altan's Frankie Kennedy play Dobbin's Flowery Vale...
That might have been it for me too.

I have a 4-key Wilkes Bb in boxwood, it's really an amazing instrument. Jean-Michel Veillon and Malo Carvou have both tried it and didn't want to give it back, and Harry Bradley described it as "extraordinary." I got mine with an unlined head; in retrospect I wish I had six keys (which is actually what I ordered from Chris, but this flute became available a few years into my wait and he offered it to me since it was similar to what I wanted), because you really need the long "C" key to be able to blow the seventh into pitch, otherwise you have to do some very extreme lipping-up; the note is very flat otherwise.

There are a few different ways to approach tuning in these Bb flutes. I have another Bb (in blackwood) from Tom Aebi and he takes a different approach; the seventh is in tune, but that makes the flatted seventh (which would be C natural on a D flute) very sharp and I have to change my normal fingering for that note...hard to get used to. I've thought about selling the Aebi, but when I listen to this little air I made up (which in retrospect seems too reminiscent of Seamus Egan's Lament for Frankie), I think I'll keep it (it was recorded on the Aebi and multitracked so I could play along with myself):

https://soundcloud.com/bradhurley/lament