News from the CITES Whisperer

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

News from the CITES Whisperer

Post by Casey Burns »

I was just on the phone with my friendly CITES inspector at the USDA with a question. Since it involved animal parts (mother of pearl) he referred me to his counterpart at the Fish and Wildlife Service. There is a rumor that they may decide to delist blackwood next CITES meeting whenever that happens. Just wanted to pass that on.

My question involved a 103 year old Italian Accordion that a friend of Geoff Wooff may be interested in. It has lovely Craftsman Art Deco style inlay using mother of pearl. Mother of pearl is apparently protected under CITES. But the same rules apply for instance if its an antique instrument with elephant ivory, such as a Firth and Pond.

If one is sending it to someone in another country as a gift, and is paying for the shipping besides, a Fish and Wildlife Declaration (Form 3-177) is required. There is no fee. However, if it is a commercial sale including an eBay sale, or even if the recipient is paying for the shipping, there is a $97 fee. The instrument has to be inspected. Sometimes photos submitted with the form is sufficient but sometimes they require an in person inspection. Should the instrument have marine mammal ivory such as walrus ivory, a marine mammal permit with additional fees and inspections are required.

In some countries (such as the EU) they possibly require corresponding import permits. My guess is that more of them require this if animal parts are involved. If it is simply all plant material, then the permitting etc. is done through the Department of Agriculture.

I may have additional details later.

Casey