Odd Stopper Question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Odd Stopper Question

Post by Conical bore »

I've been playing a recently purchased, secondhand Tom Aebi 8-key flute. Maybe 10-12 years old, I'm not sure. Love the tone and playability, although I've been a little frustrated with the low C# and C foot keys (see other thread here). No major problems with the flute, it plays well in both octaves.

However, in trying to make *sure* there aren't any tiny leaks, because this is my first keyed Irish flute and all this "leaky" stuff is new to me. I've been testing each section with suck-and-blow tests. One of the things I noticed is the headjoint leaks just a tiny bit at the end cap, with a strong suck test. I tried sealing the end cap at the head joint with electrical tape, and it still leaked. Then I tried sealing the adjusting thread poking out the end, and that stopped it. Okay, so the stopper is leaking just a tiny bit. Maybe not enough to cause problems but I think the headjoint shouldn't leak at the cap, right?

I'm used to a big fat cork stopper in my Windward keyless D flute. This one is different:

http://ptjams.com/mb/img/flutes/Aebi-stopper-01.jpg

http://ptjams.com/mb/img/flutes/Aebi-stopper-02.jpg

I've read some old posts here on C&F about how Tom changed his stopper design, and I think this is the newer one? The face of the stopper is a silver or brass disk. Behind that is a narrow slot where you can see a bit of thread (?) poking up that looks like it was meant to be in that slot. And then some other material behind that. Has anyone heard of a threaded stopper like this? I'm thinking I could try adding some more thread, if this is how it's designed, but I'm not sure what to do here.

Anyone who has experience with this particular stopper, please chime in. It's *almost* tight enough, just needs a little more contact with the headjoint barrel. I thought about just adding a wrap of plumber's Teflon tape around that thin stopper disk, but I've read that this isn't a good idea in some cases, and could use some advice on that idea.
Steve Bliven

Re: Odd Stopper Question

Post by Steve Bliven »

At the risk of being Captain Obvious here, wouldn't Mr. Aebi be the best source for information?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote:At the risk of being Captain Obvious here, wouldn't Mr. Aebi be the best source for information?

Best wishes.

Steve
Looks like you either need new thread, or perhaps an O-ring there. Best to ask the maker himself, as he's around.

And he posts regularly on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.aebi.73

and of course, his website:
www.aebi-flutes.com

and his contact page:
http://www.aebi-flutes.com/index.php/en/contact

and, since he makes it public there, his contact info:

Thomas Aebi

Breisacherstr. 68
CH-4057 Basel
SWITZERLAND
tel. +41 61 692 55 82
info@aebi-flutes.com
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I'm not the original owner, and I'm always a little reluctant to contact the maker regarding an issue on a secondhand purchase, before trying to solve it by other means. I guess I was hoping for some quick info from anyone who had seen this before. I'll contact Thomas if nothing else turns up, thanks!

As a temporary fix, I'm thinking I might try a wrap or two of teflon plumber's tape trimmed to fit. I know this isn't good for wooden tenons, but this is a different situation, and inside a full metal-lined headjoint.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Candle wax might work, just drip a little hot wax around where the thread goes into whatever, when cold, just trim/scrape off the excess.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
sarton

Post by sarton »

Why not a take piece of cork of the right diameter of a wine bottle, dril a hole in it and place it between the disc and the wooden end cap?