New member, returning flutist.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chrisgs
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I played concert flute as a youngster and am taking up the simple system flute for the sake of playing Irish and Scots folk music. I also play a number of stringed instruments but principally the guitar and mandolin.

New member, returning flutist.

Post by chrisgs »

After a couple of decades away from the instrument I am returning to the lovely sound that is the flute. I had around 8 years as a concert flute player but now feel more attracted to Celtic and other folk traditions of the British Isles. I recently purchased a Susato D whistle and have been playing that as well. Now wish I had gotten the low G since those D's are really high pitched. Today I ordered, after reading many recomends here, a Doug Tipple D flute. Can't wait to get it.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: New member, returning flutist.

Post by fatmac »

Welcome aboard. :)

I came hear looking for flute info, & ended up buying a load of whistles too - recently purchased a Damian Thompson delrin keyless, to go with my Boehm flute & piccolo, (also have a Tony Dixon ABS piccolo, & a couple of fifes). I lost my embouchure for flute, but am slowly regaining it now.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
OldPan
Tell us something.: I want to share knowledge about flutes and music. I am mostly interested in the forum, but I don’t know what else is available.

Post by OldPan »

I’m sorta returning to the flute after a lay off. What the heck is a Chiff (I know what a fipple is)? :pint:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Chiff - another thread says it's the sound you get when you start a note.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JaneJ
Tell us something.: Hi, been a flute player for many years. Started playing in a bush orchestra recently and now wanting to switch from a boehm to a blackwood irish flute and think this site will be handy for tips etc.

Post by JaneJ »

Newbie here too. Looks like there are a few flautists returning to playing after a long pause. I recently took up the instrument again after almost 30 years and must say I am loving it again. Joined a bush band to stay motivated, love the Celtic sounds and foot tapping folk tunes, and have ordered a blackwood keyless over the weekend which I cant wait to get my hands on.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

OldPan wrote:I’m sorta returning to the flute after a lay off. What the heck is a Chiff (I know what a fipple is)? :pint:
Chiff is: " the initial sound made by air leaving the mouth of a wind instrument (such as an organ flue pipe or a flute) at the attack of a note" according to Merriam Webster. It's when the initial air stream splits into two on hitting the edge. It is an initial short transient as the air moves from static to vibrating. It's a highly characteristic sound with lots of upper harmonics. The term is most often used by organ builders. Some pipes are deliberately voiced to have a lot of chiff, as part of the sound, and other ranks are voiced to minimise it. It adds interesting colour to the initial attack. Any wind instrument that produces sound with an edge tone has a greater or lesser degree of chiff. Recorders can have quite a lot. Whistles have it, and so do flutes, both wooden and metal. The design of the embouchure hole and the players embouchure affect the amount. It's fipples that make chiff!