Rudall & Rose in G&H auction

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall & Rose in G&H auction

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall & Rose 1737 - an eight key cocuswood flute, with silver keys, that looks to be in good condition in the coming G&H auction on the 14th Sept. A chance to get a good eight key flute for a reasonable price. G&H estimate it will go for £500-800 plus 24% buyer's premium, no V.A.T.

https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Cata ... t1536.html
Flutesoftheforest
antispam: No

Re: Rudall & Rose in G&H auction

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

£500 -£800 is what an auctioneer calls a come and buy me price!!!!!!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

They know it's an estimate, and part of the purpose of their assessment is whether it's even worthwhile to offer a lot for sale. They also set any reserve based on the low estimate, and they know that sometimes a popular lot will exceed the high estimate. Some items receive no bid, and it's not uncommon to offer again at a subsequent auction at 1/2 the previous estimates. Depends on what they know about their pool of bidders.

This is a relatively early serial #, and requires some repair, which may affect the final price. And yeesh, 24% buyer's premium, plus any potential fees related to payment, shipping, customs/import fees. The auction house also gets commission from the seller, so they make out like bandits.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

My one and only experience purchasing through GH was earlier this summer. They do not like to be involved in shipping especially for anything larger and instead refer that part of the sale to some of the firms like Mailboxes - and these charge an arm and a leg for overseas which I balked at. I was able to get GH to package and ship the item without the Mailboxes profit margin though they were reluctant about it. For me its simply not worth the hassle. I've had much less hassle through eBay - even internationally.

Casey
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

As far as I can see the embouchure hole has no crack running through it. If there is a crack on the back of the head joint and/or barrel then that is an easy repair to manage. But If there is no crack in the head joint then all that's needed to have the flute air tight and playing well would be to have the six salt spoon keys re-padded. The barrel seems to be missing a silver ring, also an easy fix. To fix the pads, new ring, and eventual head joint crack would cost around £150 at most I'd guess, perhaps even less.

I think this flute will sell for less than £1400 including the 24% buyer's premium. If anyone in Sweden is interested I have a secure London address the flute can be shipped to, and my daughter can courier the flute to Sweden when she comes to visit.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Don't forget the inevitable barrel crack.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"If there is a crack on the back of the head joint and/or barrel then that is an easy repair to manage." Steampacket
A cracked barrel is no problem. These are good instruments and a lot cheaper nowadays than buying a modern six- or eight-key simple system flute.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Speaking of cracks, what is the prevailing wisdom on filling/repairing these these days?

I have a very nice playing Nicholsonized Rudall, Rose and Carte (#6018 I think) that I am getting ready to sell for a friend. There is a well placed narrow crack or check on the head joint (90 degrees from the embouchure hole instead of across it).

Epoxy? Cyanoacrylate? Something else? I do hardly any repair or restoration work.

Grey Larsen looked at it when he stayed here overnight last month and thought it was a superb player. I'm currently capturing data from it with an eye towards making copies of this one.

Casey
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Speaking of cracks, what is the prevailing wisdom on filling/repairing these these days?
I think Jem or Jon could give you very good advice regarding cracks.
I have a very nice playing Nicholsonized Rudall, Rose and Carte (#6018 I think) that I am getting ready to sell for a friend. There is a well placed narrow crack or check on the head joint (90 degrees from the embouchure hole instead of across it).
Casey, you don't mean this flute by chance: "RUDALL / ROSE & CARTE/ 100 NEW BOND ST / LONDON / 6078 - " Owner's description på C&F - 3rd May, 2018: "In my possession is a nice Rudall, Rose and Carte 6078 that came in a Rudall and Rose case marked 4908 that my friend purchased in 1982 from a Sothebys auction.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Yes, that one.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall & Rose 1737 has a crack the length of the barrel and the head joint has two narrow cracks between the end of the silver embouchure sleeve and the head joint slide. The flute body and head joint both have a number of scratches and small dings. One missing ring from the barrel.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Sold at GBP 2300 + 24% Buyer's Premium. Total GBP 2852 (USD ~ $ 3,744).
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Sold at GBP 2300 + 24% Buyer's Premium. Total GBP 2852 (USD ~ $ 3,744)." Kkrell
3,198 euros. More than I expected but still a reasonable price for an eight key flute.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:
"Sold at GBP 2300 + 24% Buyer's Premium. Total GBP 2852 (USD ~ $ 3,744)." Kkrell
3,198 euros. More than I expected but still a reasonable price for an eight key flute.
Then the Patent Head one on eBay (also unrestored) at GBP 2500 (~USD $3270) must seem a bargain. Although no one has bought it at the Buy It Now price during its 30-day run (1 day left).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rudall-And-Ros ... 2406958536
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Then the Patent Head one on eBay (also unrestored) at GBP 2500 (~USD $3270) must seem a bargain. Although no one has bought it at the Buy It Now price during its 30-day run (1 day left).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rudall-And-Ros ... 2406958536" Kkrell
Yes indeed. I have R&R 5035 with patent head, made 35 flutes before the one on E-bay was made, here in front of me which I use regularly in the local session. It cost £1500 with buyer's premium from a Gorringe's auction about 4 years ago. These are very good flutes and play well at A=440

Recommended